Another rear mech cage length question

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hopefully an easy answer to this one: I need to replace a rear mech in the next couple of days and want to make sure I get the right cage length. My setup is 22-32-44 with 11-27 on the back. I've run a standard long cage mech so far from when I used to use 11-34 but is that setup with a lowish range cassette within the capacity of a medium cage (GS) Road/MTB mech? If so I guess I could either XTR or Dura Ace?

I know the Shimano specs on capacity tend to be conservative so I'm not too bothered about stretching them if others have found it's likely to work...

Cheers :)

Rear mech size is about how much chain needs to be tensioned up, and not cassette size.

i.e some guys like to ride in crazy gears, like small ring and small cogs, or large ring and large cogs, if you ride like this you need a large cage. If you change gears properly i.e 5 largest cogs on small ring, all cogs on middle ring, and 5 smallest cogs on large ring, you can get away with a small cage.

In theory, there should be only about 15 usable gears on a mtb running a 27 gear set up, plus riding in the numpty gears puts the chain at a crazy angle and will be prone to ghost shifting and fast chain wear....

:xmas-cool:

I run a medium cage with 11-30 and 22/32/44 no problem with all gears accessible.

While SiRvInO is right that cross-chaining isn't the best idea, in reality it is useful. Whatever you do make the chain long enough for big-big. This avoids the inadvertent shift that otherwise stuffs the rear mech into the back wheel, wrecking the mech, wheel and dropout. If you are lucky you escape a hospital visit.

Latest posts

Back