New fangled bottom brackets

gibbon_rider

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello all,

After going through two sets of square taper middleburn RS7's, and some FSA carbon thingys, i've come to the conclusion that either middleburn and FSA make their cranks too weak, my royce b/b has a square taper that's slightly too small to keep the crank from falling off, or that I'm a fat handed twat who shouldn't be allowed near a wrench. Either way, I'm giving up on square taper and moving on to something more modern.

But having read the bike radar guide to bottom bracket systems I'm none the wiser. The offering is now bewildering.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/c ... ets-36660/

Which is where hopefully some of you can help.

My bike is an old school steel Roberts frame with 68mm bottom bracket shell. It's my commuting bike and I run a 52t front ring single speed set up, so the spider needs to fit a big ring (which I imagine isn't a problem), and I want something light that I can fit and forget about - it takes a reasonable pounding through daily use with rain, grit on roads, muck etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Is Hollowtech 2 my only real choice with a threaded shell?

Are there any weight weenie options for hollowtech cranks?

Other than hollowtech, would anyone alternative systems??

PS
I don't think i'm a fat handed twat as the first two sets of cranks were professionally installed with a torque wrench. Despite that I've had to shim both sets of RS7's with a coke can almost from the start to stop them from falling off regularly - clearly something isn't working right. This week in the rain, we're back to falling off regularly despite the shim, so can only imagine that the tapers are shot. Again.

Maybe your Royce BB has an ISO spindle and all your cranks have a JIS square taper interface. They're almost identical but not quite the same. If you're trying to put a JIS crank on a ISO spindle you will most likely bottom out without applying a lot of torque. Check out Sheldon Brown's article on square taper BB interchangeability. Maybe switching your BB to a JIS model should work out. (in that case your crank taper should be still OK, just install a JIS BB). All modern Press-fit bottom brackets are utter rubbish!

Cheers guys, I hadn't thought that the crank and b/b may not actually be compatible! I'll get the digital calipers out tonight and see whether i'm trying to do the impossible, or if i am just mechanically incompetent.

Bloody hell. Can you elaborate on "After going through two sets of square taper middleburn RS7" - I mean they have lifetime warranty even for DH.

Who knew? I had no idea until last week that there were two different types of square taper.

My problem was that the crank would not stay tight, no matter which crank bolts, no matter how much locktite I used, coke can shims or brute force etc. etc.

As it loosened, the tapers would inevitibly come under pressure (especially with a 52T single speed) and so once they slightly rounded off, you really had no chance of a tight fitting.

Middleburn say their cranks are JIS taper.

And whilst Royce do spindles in both tapers, based on the photo here

https://plus.google.com/photos/11535212 ... 2014866108

I reckon I've got the wrong one. Looks like an Iso to me, but interested in your expert view.

There may be an additional issue with the spindle being sat too far to the right hand side (assuming it's adjustable) to get the correct chain line, but leaving it mighty tight on the left. Would the amount of taper showing on the non-drive side worry anyone? Is that a potential complicating factor?

Thanks for getting me to this stage. And if it's confirmed I've got a wrong-un, I'll have to phone up Mr Royce....

Back