Trail wheels for Cotic? 20mm and moon on a stick.

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm playing with the idea of getting some new NEW wheels for my Cotic Bfe. I'd like to make it lighter. It's a bit of a tank. It's currently got wide and tough Sun MTX on DMR Revolver from 2005 36h(!) and they are pretty damn heavy... It feels super sturdy on the downs but takes some effort to get moving.
Naturally being properly old skool I'm still on tubed tyres, tyre wise a pretty reliable old 2.35 Maxxis Minion front and was a good but only 2.1 Kenda Nevegal.

I only weigh 11 stone or so and I just do enthusiastic trail riding, it's nice to have confidence in tough kit and wide rims but these beasts are a bit OTT I thinks.

What to go for?
Do it all lightish but not too thin or weedy, and not tooooooo spendy...

All the rage seems to be ZTR Flow on Hope pro 2, some of these?

And there's other stuff like Easton like Mindmap got, those look smart. If axles sizes available...

So finally do I need to get into the future and get new tyres for tubeless? :facepalm:

:xmas-big-grin:
Thanks

I bought a set of flows / pro 2's to replace my Bulb/521 setup.
Lost about half a pound on each wheel. I bought mine second hand for about the same price of a new pro2 hub (which is what I was initially lookig to replace).

You can run these rims tubeless, or with tubes. I was running mine with tubes until this weekend. Decided I ought to give tubless a try and make up my mind whether to stick with it or not. Its ace. Although I'm not looking forward to changing tyres as I had to get them inflated initially by the lbs after failing with a track pump.

Thanks for that. I presume even with tubes you noticed a performance advantage?

Tubeless, I have a cheap basic compressor so that might help inflate but what about trail side punctures or sealant disasters?

For trailside punctures I'm just planning to stick a tube in.
I would say with tubes I noticed a small advantage. I definitely noticed more of an advantage going tubeless even though I hardly saved any weight, it just feels better.

Of course why didn't I think of that! :D

I think what I can't get my head round is running at low pressures and tyre not burping off easily. Suppose just not that low! Car tyres stay put unless they are horrendously stretched scene style.

I had a load of concerns along similar lines, but as I had the rims and tubeless ready tyres I figure I've got nothing to lose by giving it a go, I can always switch back. To be honest I was hoping I'd not notice any difference then I could happily go back to tubes.
You may be better off sticking with tubes for a while after you get new wheels, then try tubeless - this way you'll know what to attribute any improved handling to, and whether to stick with the tubeless system.

Good idea. Make it a fair test. Thanks
Right they are in my shopping wish list now. Problem is I might now use my phat wheels to build up the full suss beast. Arrgh!

Will update either thread when things happen

I put some Pro II's on 521's on my Cotic because they were cheap from Wiggle. They saved a bunch of weight over my Bulbs on D321's.

They're still heavier than the Eastons run tubeless on the Rune.

I don't think the Stans rims are all that easy to set up as tubeless if you want to go down that route because you need rim strips etc. my Eastons were really easy to set up tubeless.

I think most things will weigh less than your current wheels though!

I run pro 2's and mavic 819's on my Soul , tubeless , not punctures in 2 years (but I have pulled some fairly substantial thorns/twigs out of tyres post ride that have then sealed no probs), usually run about 25psi (I'm 11n half stone ish), works great , just remember to pop tyres off and redo sealant every 6 months or so as it dries out over time , I always carry a spare tube but have yet to use it ,
Matthew

Thanks Matthews. That's really useful info. Good to know.
Mindmap, good advice too. Mavics a good option by the sound of it. And Eastons still on offer. Just the idea of spending a big wad, about £300! is loosening purse strings for dafter but cheaper things to buy.

Latest posts

Back