Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:25 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:15 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Hi

I am in a bit of a pickle here and can not decide what to do :facepalm: so thought I would put up a thread here to see if anyone with a Cannondale Prophet has any opions... :roll:

My Lefty forks on my Phrophet have had there best days and i need to replace them so now I am considering either replacing them with a set of FOX Talis forks 120-150 or replacing them with some new Lefts??
I quite like the fact that the Talis have a rinding position and a climbing position but really do like the look of the lefty fork :facepalm:

Anyone riden both and have a preference ? I am thinking the ride might be better with the Fox forks ?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:06 pm 
Old School Grand Master

difficult. i have ridden lefty and fox floats rlc (so not talas) - the fox is a superb fork; both have lockouts. not sure that I would recommend but I would keep the lefty on a cannondale.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:36 pm 
Retro Guru

Had the same problem with my lefty , so was lucky enough to find a USE SUB fork and wheel for just over £220 . all parts are available of the shelf and no special tools needed ,ok there is no lock out ,but it is as good if not better than a lefty ,boy does it look Coooool and like you am going to try to make some tools to rebuild the Lefty fork and put it on a Cannondale Delta Vee , :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm 
Retro Guru

Not an exact comparison I know but I had a 'Dale Rush fitted with Fox RL and 9mm dropouts. Compared to my other bike with a 20mm axle / fork it was a bit twangy on rocky descents. When back in the cave I could hold the front wheel between my knees and "twist" the bars. I remember thinking that I wish I'd payed the extra and bought the lefty model thereby getting the best from the oversized head tube.
The new Fox with a different axle may cure this though.
I've just gone out to the cave and tried twisting the bars on the 'Dales replacement, [a 29er with 100mm tapered Rebas and 15mm axle], there is some movement but not much so it seems that axle choice is key.
Not shure if I'd helped you with you're choice but good luck any way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:35 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Cheers for Info ..

Still cna not decide ... My Prophet is a 2006 so the Lefty is pretty old and was always too springy.. :? . Think I might need to go and test a new lefty first before deciding if to switch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:12 pm 
Retro Guru

I like the Lefty, but the Prophet looks pretty good with normal forks.

I wouldn't go with a Talas forks though; I've never liked the action because it feels sticky compared to a Float or a Vanilla. A 32 Fox will feel twangy after your Lefty so I'd look at a 34 or a 36.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:54 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

I'd go for the Fox, although probably Floats over Talas as I've always found them a bit plusher early in the travel. Have you considered DT XMM140's? I had a pair and prefered them to Fox tbh. They have an 'uphill mode' as well if that's what you want. Some good deals about atm too.