v brake bosses and disc brake tabs

painter09

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
one or the other :roll: one thing i dislike on a frame or forks is v brake bosses and disc brake tabs together, one or the othe makes things so much neater on a build, it just looks all wrong when your running disc brakes on a bike and have the v bosses sticking out looking like they dont belong, so this brings me to my new build ( 2002 rock lobster 853 ) equiped with disc and v so ive decided the v bosses need to go to give the rear end a much cleaner look, and running more modern disc only rigid forks in place of the forks that were on the frame when it came into my hands first time round , a little dressing of the weld now and then ready to remove the other boss :D

Attachments

• rock lobster cant brake removal 073.JPG
    rock lobster cant brake removal 073.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 794
  • rock lobster cant brake removal 071.JPG
    rock lobster cant brake removal 071.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 794
  • rock lobster cant brake removal 070.JPG
    rock lobster cant brake removal 070.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 794
  • rock lobster cant brake removal 003.JPG
    rock lobster cant brake removal 003.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 794
Yes :D

WD Pro":1og7gc8s said:
These are the steps I took to remove the bosses ...

Dremel with cutting disk :

DSC08746_zpsd16d5f6f.jpg

Dremel with sanding drum :

DSC08752_zps88b4935f.jpg

Note to other owners - get some grease / Waxoyl / spray oil behind the canti bosses ... :-(

That's as far as I would dare go with an electric tool :)

Wide file :

DSC08757_zps9049c59c.jpg

80's and then 120's :

DSC08760_zps1bff18a7.jpg

Other side :

DSC08765_zps1c20771e.jpg

Both done :

DSC08783_zpsc473613a.jpg

WD :D

Check page eight of my yo build for a bit more info :D

This (to me) is an important step :

WD Pro":1w6wfkj5 said:
Polished to allow me to see reflections (look for the lines running along the tubes) - any distortion in the reflection / lines means something is wrong with the surface. A lump means you haven't worked the area enough, a hollow means you have c0cked up ...

I am pleased so far :D

jesus :shock: i thought i was being brave using my 858 RL as my first attempt to remove bosses, but a yo eddy :shock: i think i may have bottled that one and left it to the experts, but i take my hat off to you sir, first for doing the work yourself and making such a fine job of the finish and second for taking such an iconic frame and moderising it with disc brakes :cool:

This is the correct thing to do.
I've remove dbrake bosses off my Bianch frame and 1 off my SID forks, the other being used to hold the brake hose clamp.

Neat job, I'm too cack handed to even try but its good to see a detailed explanation for the hard of capability.

cheers

02gf74":2qr5f9yv said:
This is the correct thing to do.
I've remove dbrake bosses off my Bianch frame and 1 off my SID forks, the other being used to hold the brake hose clamp.

how does it look minus the brake boss? usually the brake boss forms part of the shape of the lower leg? got any pics?

Back