Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

best full suspension bike for £ 200-£300
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=275626

Author:  orangeone [ Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:13 pm ]
Post subject:  best full suspension bike for £ 200-£300

im going to treat myself to a bew bike in the next month or so. So I was wondering what the best full suspension bike for £200-£300 :D

Author:  wookiee [ Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: best full suspension bike for £ 200-£300

Not the biggest budget...I'd go for an older Marin 1997-2000 Rift Zone or Mount Vision...

Author:  velomaniac [ Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:54 pm ]

When you say new you mean new to you and thus second hand. You'll only get BSO full sus for that money new.
I'd say what Wookie says is a good choice or anything from GT.

Author:  orangeone [ Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:57 pm ]

yes new to me not not brand new :D

Author:  PurleySquire [ Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:04 pm ]

I concur with Mr Wookie too. I spotted 2 East Peaks that failed to raise £50 a piece earlier this year on eBay, both 100% complete and very underused judging by the pix. The frames are really light and strong, you might want to budget a bit for a fork upgrade and check the air shocks, I had one fail suddenly. If you buy just the frame, try to get the rear shock with it as it is a size that is becoming harder to find as a coil shock. Some of the air shocks cost your budget new.

Author:  highlandsflyer [ Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:18 pm ]

Bit of patience should net you a decent quality bike for that budget, my favourite hunt would be Gumtree for a local pickup garage find that needs a little fettling.

Author:  brocklanders023 [ Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:33 pm ]

I'd keep away from any GT XCR Idrive thing. They'll be within budget but are no fun at all. I got one in 1999 and it put me off bikes for 6 years!

I'd get the most modern bike you can as technology has moved on at pace. Don't know for sure but wouldn't be suprised to see a Boardman FS coming in around £300 second hand?

Author:  Dead Rats [ Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:09 pm ]

Maybe a pre-disc Stumpy FSR?

Author:  PurleySquire [ Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:48 pm ]

Tempted? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321230481811? ... 1438.l2649

Author:  orangeone [ Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:51 pm ]

i am tempted just got to find out a bit more about it as in size and group set :D

Author:  orangeone [ Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:39 pm ]

i asked about the size the reply i got was just. Mans

Author:  wookiee [ Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:46 pm ]

orangeone wrote:
i asked about the size the reply i got was just. Mans

Having had a few of these design frames I would say that it is a 17.5" centre bb to centre seat tube...18.5" centre bb to top of seat tube. How tall are you?

Author:  orangeone [ Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:49 pm ]

im 5ft 8 I sent a message back asking how tall he was just to get a rough idea I was going to ask about the group set but I think it would be a bit of a hassle :D

Author:  wookiee [ Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:01 am ]

orangeone wrote:
im 5ft 8 I sent a message back asking how tall he was just to get a rough idea I was going to ask about the group set but I think it would be a bit of a hassle :D

Right well I can tell you a few things...should be ok for your height, more important your inside leg. I have a 33" leg and rode a 19" frame. As for the bike its a Rock Springs which is the lower end of the "All Mountain" range of which there are 3 model the Rock Springs, Wolf Ridge and the Attack Trail (in that order of spec). They are slightly heavier than the XC range which goes, East Peak, Rift Zone and Mount Vision (and in also Alpine Trail). This one is a 1999 model and comes with a Shimano STX groupset, looks like Mavic rims and Hope disc brakes so not a bad set up which could always be upgraded. The bi question is the forks and rear shock, if they are shot then that could be costly to rectify. Is it near you? Can you go have a look?

Here are a few that I would consider if I were you...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARIN-RIFT-ZO ... 4acaf00019

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marin-Alpine- ... 53ff7dcd65

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marin-Rift-Zo ... 33866bf626

You may be able to get something newer but I recon these would go for the £150-£175 mark, giving you some dosh for fixing anything thats knackered or that you might want to upgrade. But just keep an eye on ebay and look at completed listings for an idea of what you might pay for one.

Doug

Author:  Meejoir [ Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:18 am ]

I've had a Mount Vision since 1998 and it still competes out on the trail with my mates far newer designs, it's a classic design. If you're that way inclined, there's a bloke on this site who's stealthed up his in grey and black and it looks as modern as anything.

I'm 5"11 with a 31" inside leg and the 17.5 inch frame is perfect for me, although I'd say I was at the top end of the scale before needing a 19 incher frame. The only other piece of advice I'd offer is to avoid the mk 1 Marin range as the top tube swingarm is much thinner and prone to snapping, I think this second Rift Zone in the previous links. The 1998 models were beefed up and were more or less indestructible, put it this way, I'm 18 stone and it's never creaked once and it's done some hard time in the past 15 years.

Good luck with it.

Author:  Meejoir [ Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:20 am ]

In fact, here it is!

viewtopic.php?t=112170

Author:  wookiee [ Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:23 am ]

Meejoir wrote:
The only other piece of advice I'd offer is to avoid the mk 1 Marin range as the top tube swingarm is much thinner and prone to snapping, I think this second Rift Zone in the previous links. The 1998 models were beefed up and were more or less indestructible, put it this way, I'm 18 stone and it's never creaked once and it's done some hard time in the past 15 years.

Good luck with it.

Thats true I did have a 1997 swingarm crack (still in my garage!)

Author:  orangeone [ Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:32 pm ]

there is a specialized fsr on gumtree I have emailed the seller to see if they still have it. It is a 1999 model is there anything I should look out for if they still have it and I go for a look

Author:  wookiee [ Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:38 pm ]

orangeone wrote:
there is a specialized fsr on gumtree I have emailed the seller to see if they still have it. It is a 1999 model is there anything I should look out for if they still have it and I go for a look

Check for cracks and play in the rear swingarm/shock bushes....

Author:  painter09 [ Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:19 pm ]

as your name seems to suggests you like orange bikes have you considered an orange ufo ? prices seem to be reasonable and well within the budget you have stated which could possibly leave a little left over for suspension upgrades ect.

Author:  ChrisBrown81 [ Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:53 pm ]

What about a 97-98 Giant ATX 990/80/70 all pretty much the same frame (different shocks). I used to love mine! It used to eat singletrack :-)

Author:  secret_squirrel [ Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:44 pm ]

painter09 wrote:
as your name seems to suggests you like orange bikes have you considered an orange ufo ? prices seem to be reasonable and well within the budget you have stated which could possibly leave a little left over for suspension upgrades ect.

The UFO is a URT which is widerly considered an aquired taste (if Im being tactful) - although there are one or two on here that feel the love for them.

As an Orangeman myself I have just picked up an Orange Mr XC for £177 on the bay - the lightweight XC version of the Mr O from when Orange-Animal were seriously frightening the big boys on the downhill circuits. Havent ridden it yet but its relationship to the current gen of Oranges FSes (Fives etc) seems pretty strong except it has a proper tubular front triangle instead of this monocoque marlarkey. The only problem is they dont seem to come up that often - this is the first one I have seen in about 6 months of looking. Will report back after the weekend pickup. It is a 1999-2000 model though so you would have to resign yourself to the wasteland that is the post-98 section.

Author:  haggis [ Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:51 am ]

I'd look at a Specialized FSR as well. I had a 2001 Stumpjumper FSR XC Comp and it was a superb bike. One sold on ebay for £195 a few months ago. I'm sure that would keep up with today's xc bikes.

Author:  wynne [ Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:04 pm ]

I know it's just a frame and it miight not be quite what you're after BUT this will make the basis of a great bike http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=279214

Rich