1998 FSR Rear Shock

coolwill99

Dirt Disciple
hi all im seeking advice here ive recently bought a 1998 FSR as a project my 1st major problem is the linkage bolt that holds the rear shock inplace is bent under the pressure that the previous owner screwed the spring down so tight its bent upon truing to unscrew it its sheared off in the spacer thats between the wish bone section and seems impossable to remove now im stuffed i think i may have to cut the spacers in half to get the bolt out has any one any advise on what shock to replace it with as it seems the rock shox are like chicken teeth any advise would be greatly recived :( many thanbks for taking time out to read

Hi Will,I used a Fox float,aircan shock,the difference in performance was like night and day and transformed the bike.I don't know if you know but you need a shock that is 165 mm eye to eye,they are not as comon as other sizes but are out there,try a wanted ad on here,it worked for me.
Mark

thanks mark how did you get on about bushes sorry but im new to this rebuild stuff so im afraid i need all the help i can get also does it fit into the original wishbone on the fsr

Hi,you may be lucky and it will fit straight in..But if not the bushes,normally refered to as"mounting hardware" is easily obtained,I was lucky in as much as the bush on the Fox was the same diameter, 6 mm,so I just used some spacers I had, either side to take up any play,I'm sure I could have got the correct ones but wanted to try the bike,It has been like that for a year with no problems...The Fox shock is just so much better and the lock out works a treat,worth it just for that alone,good luck with the bike,good to see another classic FS bike being restored and hopefully enjoyed.
Mark

Back