Anyone bought a 650b yet?

superstu

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
It's in every magazine and every new line up for 2014 but was wondering if anyone here has ventured into 650b? Some early adopters of 29rs om retrobike so thought someone must have taken the step.
Unconvinced but some nice new bikes have come out recently like the Pace rc127.

Think the Red Chilli has got a 650b Orange 5. :?

I want one as I think the 'inbetween' size will suit me but I can't get a new 5 atm as got a baby on the way so am thinking of a second hand 29er. That way, when I can afford a 650b 5 I'll have tried the others properly so should be able to make the right choice. ;)

That's right Ed, I planned on standardising my wheels sizes to 29 but after (being lucky enough) to test lots of bikes the Five 650b just blew everything away for me, It replaced my 26 five, so it really was a like for like comparison. It's quicker, more nimble and climbs better than my old one. People say 650b isn't really that different but ride one for a few hours then jump back on a 26".

All you can do is try a few and make a decision based on your style of riding.

Be glad when all this wheel size stuff settles down !

Haven't even tried a 29 yet!
I was sceptical when they came out, and the way giant went from trumpeting 29 to saying they would drop them next year as they weren't that good after all annoyed me. But some really nice stuff coming our now so think that will be next on the agenda for me. Maybe my first fs as well.

superstu":1us7fxa2 said:
Haven't even tried a 29 yet!
I was sceptical when they came out, and the way giant went from trumpeting 29 to saying they would drop them next year as they weren't that good after all annoyed me. But some really nice stuff coming our now so think that will be next on the agenda for me. Maybe my first fs as well.

It's all about selling more bikes and they are tapping into the biggest market- the existing one!

Try a high profile tyre on a 26, you will get the feel of a 650, which are much closer to a 26 than a 29.

I have held back on moving to 650 but the next wheels I build will probably be 650.

Been riding a 650B Pipedream for a few months, really like it, the wheel size isn't perfect, but then which is? I don't think it's going to disappear any time soon, not with Giant and Shimano etc on board, word from most companies seems to be that they are behind 27.5 and 29 next year, 26 not so much.

theredchili":fc3qeo6k said:
That's right Ed, I planned on standardising my wheels sizes to 29 but after (being lucky enough) to test lots of bikes the Five 650b just blew everything away for me, It replaced my 26 five, so it really was a like for like comparison. It's quicker, more nimble and climbs better than my old one. People say 650b isn't really that different but ride one for a few hours then jump back on a 26".

All you can do is try a few and make a decision based on your style of riding.

Be glad when all this wheel size stuff settles down !

Glad to here you like it. :D

I've just today bagged a 5 29 so we'll have to compare notes. ;)

I have :D

In May this year, as I thought it time to change my existing 13year old SC Superlight, which I loved riding every time. The wheel size made sense to and for me for many reasons.

I went for the PYGA 650B 120. My choice was for a relatively short travel bike with more relaxed geo. The other bike I was considering was the Morewood Zula at 100mm, although I don't think it's made it out to market yet. I'm delighted with the PYGA and loving riding it as much as I did with the Superlight.

Back