Islabike kids bikes?

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
....Thinking of getting my 4 year old son an Islabike cnoc 16. Has anyone got any experience of these bikes? Are they any good?

Thanks in advance

Doug

no cnoc 16 here, but we bought a 26 Beiin small in 2009 for the oldest and he loved it.

no nonsense bike, best kids bikes on the market, when we looked for one, with light parts, 1x8 gear and rigid forks, nowadays there are other companies jumping up onto the train, i.e. Frog bikes.

bikes aint cool on first sight, compared with the "full suss, with not working 3 x ?? gears, from Toy's R us" of his friends, but when it comes to ride quality the Isla is way ahead.

I've just been looking at them too Doug, for my 5 year old Niece.
In the end I bought her a Ridgeback Melody, which will be getting the full BBC treatment in time for xmas :D
The Islabikes were deffinately better in standard spec, but 4 times the price of the ridgeback for something very similar.
Already planning upgrades for the melody!

Islabike consistently win the awards, even over the new Frogs that run along similar lines.
They've not changed much over the years, mainly as they don't need to.

I have a Beinn 20L I need to sell on and currently on a Beinn 24 in use.

I've seen the CNOCs around in the Caravan and Camping club sites also, very popular now.

I think they still hold theri price on resale if you ever do that.

Kids do grow out of them fast though, damn pesky thing (of course it's ages in their little world)

I think the Cnoc 14 is probably going to be most suited as the 16 maybe still a bit big...

He currently has a "my first bike" from Halfords that he chose as it is a fire engine one :facepalm: But it is sooo heavy I think it weighs about 30lbs!!! The Islabikes are more like 14lbs. He is struggling with the weight and its not giving him the enthusiasm to keep trying...

I think I should be able to pick one up second hand for about £150 and when he grows out of it sell it on for much the same price. Will have a look at the Ridgeback aswell though Mark so thanks for that...

My daughters first bike was an Isla, mistakenly went for a Decathlon one afterwards and it was terrible. Back to Islabikes, I have 3 kids so I don't see it as being too expensive and apart from that I like the company, genuinely seem to care for the customer.

wookiee":1v7fkrfk said:
I think the Cnoc 14 is probably going to be most suited as the 16 maybe still a bit big...

He currently has a "my first bike" from Halfords that he chose as it is a fire engine one :facepalm: But it is sooo heavy I think it weighs about 30lbs!!! The Islabikes are more like 14lbs. He is struggling with the weight and its not giving him the enthusiasm to keep trying...

I think I should be able to pick one up second hand for about £150 and when he grows out of it sell it on for much the same price. Will have a look at the Ridgeback aswell though Mark so thanks for that...

He REALLY wont like you if you buy him a melody.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ridgeback-Mel ... true&rt=nc :LOL:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
My nippers both had Ridgebacks, a melody for her and an MX14 for him. Cracking bikes, very light and everything worked with teeny bodies.

makster":20trov4n said:
wookiee":20trov4n said:

He REALLY wont like you if you buy him a melody.... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ridgeback-Mel ... true&rt=nc :LOL:

Haha not so sure he saw a barbie on TV that you could spray the hair different colours and said "Daddy can I have one of those!"

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
My neice and nephews have islabikes and frankly they are very good indeed.

My lad didn't like them when I was buying him a new bike - he has a Giant XTC Jr which is fine (and cheaper) but I would say the islabikes are definitely better.

I was actually at a cycle-cross race on Sunday - to say it was a sea of islabike of all sizes (14's all the way up to luath 700's) - I would say that the majority of the kids were on them, so they can't be bad. Irt was a league race too...

I even saw a pretty rare islabikes Beinn 29 - the adults 29er they make!

Back