Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Royce Hubs
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=273945

Author:  Rob1 [ Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:56 am ]
Post subject:  Royce Hubs

Just bought a set of these beautiful Royce Racing Gold Disc Hubs. All the gold parts apart from the Grip Nuts are manufactured from 6AL4V Ti, (apparently the Grip Nuts are manufactured from Carbon Steel as Ti would not hold the serrations).

Will probably build them onto a pair of carbon rims in due course.

A pleasure dealing with Cliff at Royce. I don't think I'll need to buy another set of hubs ever again...

Author:  BertR00t [ Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Royce Hubs

Good lord they are phenomenal. Not a fan of gold but they are stunning.

Congrats on the purchase.

Author:  Rampage [ Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:33 am ]

Very nice.
Are they anodised do you know or is it some sort of other finish?

Author:  Rob1 [ Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:38 am ]

Rampage wrote:
Very nice.

Titanium Nitride coating - a tough finish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_nitride

Author:  Tazio [ Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:05 am ]

Rob1 wrote:
Rampage wrote:
Very nice.

Titanium Nitride coating - a tough finish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titanium_nitride

I've got a Gerber knife coated with it and it is amazingly tough. It hasn't worn off at all even though I use the knife a lot at work. It should last for ever on hubs.

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:27 am ]

got a pair of those on my Demon Frameworks, they are awesome, i bought the matching racing gold QR's to go with them, as you say, Cliff is awesome to deal with. :D

i got mine and Cliff said they were only the second pair to be sold so yours are probably the third.

:D

Author:  02gf74 [ Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:00 am ]

dobule

Author:  02gf74 [ Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:04 am ]

Agreed they look lovely.

Just wondering why since I cannot imagine they were cheap.

Al alloy hubs look just as nice and should be lighter and just albeit made in taiwai.????

Hope pro 2evo are available in gold if you want uk hubs and circus monkey too

Author:  Rob1 [ Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:53 am ]

02gf74 wrote:
Agreed they look lovely.

Just wondering why since I cannot imagine they were cheap.

Al alloy hubs look just as nice and should be lighter and just albeit made in taiwai.????

Hope pro 2evo are available in gold if you want uk hubs and circus monkey too

Yeah - I was waiting for this! A ford fiesta has four wheels, is available in red and is cheaper than a ferrari.

Definitely an extravagance, alloy is lighter and much cheaper. These are exclusive works of art though, the tolerances are amazing and knowing that love has been poured into their design and manufacture makes me happy. It's also nice to support a craftsman in a british company.

Author:  02gf74 [ Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:36 pm ]

Rob1 wrote:

Yeah - I was waiting for this! A ford fiesta has four wheels, is available in red and is cheaper than a ferrari.

Firstly I wasn't having a go at you - I really don't car what you spend your money on, just genuinely curious.

Not entirely sure why you state the the fiesta vs ferrari analogy. There is a huge difference in performance between the two - I cannot see how the royce can be better by the same order of magnitude over a set of decent alloy hubs; in fact they are probably worse as they will be heavier. Being machined to amazing tolerances is not going to make them faster.

When it comes to bicycle parts, I always put performance, function and cost before form and bling.

Author:  jonnyboy666 [ Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:39 pm ]

i can answer that a bit as i have a set of these hubs.

i have 3 bikes with hope hubs, 2 of those pairs are hope pro2, brilliant hubs, no doubt about it, easy to service, look good, last well,

but, i wanted something different for my bike, "King!" i hear you say, well yeah, great hubs, available in an array of good colours, but god i hate the sound they make! that annoying freehub sound especially when setting the bike up on the stand, makes me want to be deaf!

also, with my build i wanted something english if possible, Royce was the obvious choice, i only intended to have the normal hubs, the polished silver alloy versions, i bought the racing gold ones because they are a beautiful bit of kit right the way through, from the CNC machining, to the polishing, Ti-nitriding, and the tolerance is i believe better than any other brand, also small touches like being able to grease the bearings with out stripping the hub, an ingenious old fashioned part of the design which i think is great, also, if like me you got the chance to buy them from Cliff himself, not only is he a good salesman of his product his passion for what he is doing shines through like the finish of his hubs.

there is also the individuality and poncy-ness of them aswel, i don't deny that, are they as much better as a fiesta against the ferrari? no, but if you can afford a ferrari you probably wouldn't buy the fiesta would you (for the record i think fiesta is not a fair analogy of the hope hubs but i just continued it)

:)

Author:  Rob1 [ Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:26 am ]

^ exactly what jonnyboy666 said! And for the record I also have 2 bikes that both have Pro IIs and they are excellent hubs. I've been mountain biking for long enough to spot a beautifully made product and there are many components I wish I could have afforded when I was younger that are now no longer manufactured. I now have the means to buy this stuff without too much worry - and so do.

The point about "Al [sic] alloy hubs look just as nice and should be lighter and just albeit made in taiwai.???? [sic]" is probably a reason that small volume, crafted CNC components are harder to come by these days (though the overall benefits of cheaper, more reliable mountain bike componentry on a large scale for the general consumer can't be denied). However, small outfits that manufacture products with passion still deserve support - especially as many innovations arise from these areas.

Yes, perhaps my analogy was a lazy one, but my point is that of course there are cheaper hubs that do a similar job (hence me clearly stating that the Royces are an extravagance etc etc). Make no mistake, I did not buy these hubs thinking they would be faster or lighter - I bought them (in addition to the other reasons listed) for their reliability, something that having amazing tollerances cartainly does contribute towards.

"When it comes to bicycle parts, I always put performance, function and cost before form and bling" - well done you, but just as you don't care what I spend my money on, nor do I care about how you go about deciding to spend yours. :)

Author:  My_Teenage_Self [ Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:35 am ]

I am reminded of this;

"Just Because."

Stunning. I aspire to a set of (regular) Royce hubs for my Unicorn ride.

Author:  02gf74 [ Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:52 pm ]

Rob1 wrote:
^nor do I care about how you go about deciding to spend yours. :)

good coz I don't care that you don't care.. Image

Author:  ellist [ Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:14 am ]

There has to be some reason he was selling to the olympic team. And it funds the pedal car racing too. Always a laugh. I used to walk past Royce on my way to my friends house.

Author:  tintin40 [ Sun May 21, 2017 7:49 am ]

Rob1 wrote:

Will probably build them onto a pair of carbon rims in due course.

A pleasure dealing with Cliff at Royce. I don't think I'll need to buy another set of hubs

Agree with Royce. It's strange how some companies are hardwork to deal with.
Wish they made carbon parts such cranksets etc then I wouldn't look to Europe.
Finding a shop to build my carbon Ti versions is proving as hard as the gold coating.
glad they don't have the Hope loud click cassette which is very annoying as on my other set of wheels.

Author:  Old Kit [ Sun May 21, 2017 8:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re:

I had quite a long conversation with Cliff, a while back, he invited me to call in the works if I was ever in the area.

These hubs are on my list of things to buy if I ever get enough spare cash.

He really is very helpful,it was a pleasure to talk to him.

Quality sells itself.

Author:  tintin40 [ Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:40 pm ]

Have these been made up in to complete wheels?