29er mud/winter tyres choices and opinions...

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I know I am still pondering my choice on some winter tyres for my 29er...I have narrowed it down to a few options:

- Schwalbe Nobby Nics
- Maxxis Beaver
- Schwalbe Hans Dampf

Any thoughts...want light, tubeless compatable, but good in mud without being too shit on the rocks/roots...

I know and I want the moon on a stick and Elle Mcphearson in my bed!

Doug

Can I through a spanner in the works by suggesting Bontrager Mud X. Cheap, light, a breeze to run tubeless and more of an all rounder than the name suggests. Run them on my 29 and 26 all winter. A bit narrower than the ones you've mentioned but grippy on rocks.

Beavers get very similar view to Mud X but a bit more volume.

Hans Dampf gets great reviews as aggressive big volume tyre, but not sure I'd want to ride around on one all winter.

Avoid Nobby Nic, ok in the dry but I found them crap everywhere else, especially wet roots. Also fragile sidewalls.

Thanks for that clubby....will consider the mudx as a contender...You know how it is before I invest £60-£80 I want to be sure I'm buying the right thing!

Not sure if you can get them in 29" flavour, but I really rate the Panaracer trailrakers when the going gets claggy.
LETHAL on wet roads though :shock:

makster":2yvsj1z2 said:
Not sure if you can get them in 29" flavour, but I really rate the Panaracer trailrakers when the going gets claggy.
LETHAL on wet roads though :shock:

I'll have a look...what are you running at the moment? And what will you run when its wet?

My new bike...in the wet?? Tffft
I'll be on my winter bike from now until spring mate, so the trailrakers will be taking the strain of the mud.
I'm running rocket ron/racing ralph at the moment, and have found them a bit sketchy on anything wet but great in the dry

makster":2dhi03l5 said:
I'll be on my winter bike from now until spring mate, so the trailrakers will be taking the strain of the mud.
I'm running rocket ron/racing ralph at the moment, and have found them a bit sketchy on anything wet but great in the dry

I hear that! I have racing ralphs the evo snakeskin ones loving it in the dry summer months...but they squirm like Gary Glitter on trial in the wet!

I dont have the luxury of a winter hack....maybe I should!

wookiee":sjnsxvre said:
makster":sjnsxvre said:

I hear that! I have racing ralphs the evo snakeskin ones loving it in the dry summer months...but they squirm like Gary Glitter on trial in the wet!

You know it makes sense Doug. I looked at the extra wear and tear on suspension, drivetrain etc and on all the extra cleaning involved with a complicated modern bike and built up a 1x9 rigid bike with cable discs.
Coped a treat with a very wet purbecks last winter....

PA150851.jpg

makster":1k9drbse said:
wookiee":1k9drbse said:
makster":1k9drbse said:

You know it makes sense Doug. I looked at the extra wear and tear on suspension, drivetrain etc and on all the extra cleaning involved with a complicated modern bike and built up a 1x9 rigid bike with cable discs.
Coped a treat with a very wet purbecks last winter....

PA150851.jpg

Thats an interesting idea...as long as it has more clearance than a Jamis with rollercams! What sort of budget did your Lobster suck up?

I had a lot of the bits already. I was using the wheels off of my then 'summer' bike at that time, but had to buy some more when I sold the Santa Cruz (the new owner was keen on it to come with wheels, which was a pain :LOL: ).
The forks were about £60.
I'd say that, including the brand new crossride wheels I had to buy, the whole lot has cost me about £300.
It'll be getting stripped down for a re-paint in the next few weeks as it's looking very tired now

Back