does anyone use a kids bike seat to carry their child?

konahed

Kona Fan
For example this one by Hamax:

551043-kiss-black-red_product_info.jpg

We just got one but as it fits to the seat tube it seems you cannot use it one ladies frames or on bikes with top pull front mechs as the cable is routed down the seat tube.

Can anyone help me find some makes of bike that dont have the front mech cable going down the seat tube? I know older Konas have the cable going down the downtube but they seem to have changed that as some point in the 90s.

I have the same Hamax child seat and use it with my Zaskar with a top pull front mech with no problems. You can get different size brackets for small frames as well so may help with the ladies frame.

My son in law used a Gary Fisher for Sunday morning family rides with no probs until his son discovered he could reach the shift levers from the seat. :evil:

I totally refurbed a 20yr old Marin EG for this purpose and fitted a Yepp childseat. My 4 yr old loves it. The cables are all bottom routed. The only issue i found was ensuring the rear cantis were in a tight triangle within the plastic seat housing. Works a treat and its a great leg workout :) oh.. and I used plenty of cut innertube around the seat tube clamp to protect the frame.

dos it not have a cut out for the cable to pass? i had same seat but gone to one that fits on a rack an feels loads better than the frame/ seat tube fitted ones, it dosnt flex/ move round feels safer/ stable

....get a different seat that mounts on a rear cycle rack, (as long as you have the eyelets on the stays) easier that changing a bike! Worked for me...

I had the same seat with the same problem (on a Rocky Mountain). I noticed that it was one of the plastic inner supports of the mounting area that was in the way of the cable-stop. The solution was to simply remove the middle-section with a hacksaw.
The cable rubs a little, but it doesn't affect shifting that I've noticed.

Good luck with sorting your seat!

|Thanks for all the replies. I managed to slot the cable in a gap in the rubber clamp insert and it seems to work ok.

Back