Tubeless tyres...some dumb questions!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
...dumb question...can any tyre become tubeless? Is it all about the rim being tubeless? I am currently sporting a tubeless setup on my bike with 29" Schwalbe Racing Ralphs...would I need to replace the valve or would the current ones be ok? I need to get some more Mud friendly tyres as I came off a treat today loosing control at the front and rear at speed! The tyres have been fine in the dry...but they squirm and slip something chronic in the wet mud!

Thanks in advance

Doug

Depends on the rim
If you use rim tape or inners for tubeless,
Also would use new tyres as I used some old to go tubeless and there was quite a few pin holes around the tyre that was a mere to seal.

My last tyres I sealed were Rocket rons non tubeless had no problems sealing them on stans ztr rims.

The most problems I've came across was leaks from the valve not sealing

wookiee":2fm494ab said:
Still confused....? So can any tyre become tubeless??

In theory yes in reality no because it depends on sidewall construction. For example Conti tyres are notorious for having very porous side walls that are difficult to get to seal whereas Maxxis none UST tyres are generally pretty good at being converted to tubeless. Not sure about Bonti tyres though.

If you can get a UST or tubeless ready tyre it would make life a bit easier.

Mindmap3":2w36exav said:
wookiee":2w36exav said:
Still confused....? So can any tyre become tubeless??

In theory yes in reality no because it depends on sidewall construction. For example Conti tyres are notorious for having very porous side walls that are difficult to get to seal whereas Maxxis none UST tyres are generally pretty good at being converted to tubeless. Not sure about Bonti tyres though.

If you can get a UST or tubeless ready tyre it would make life a bit easier.

So if it doesnt say tubeless in the description then its not? (sounds obvious I know)

What about these?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/maxxis-ardent-2 ... -mtb-tyre/

If they're a 'proper' tubeless tyre they'll be called tubeless, tubeless ready or UST. Those tyres you've linked to aren't tubeless tyres but as far as I know there are a lot of people who run standard Maxxis tyres tubeless.

What rims are you planning to use?

Back