Shock service advice

frank.youngman

Retro Guru
My wife has a 2004 Specialized Enduro with a Fox Float RL rear shock (the one with an ITCH switch to vary length of stroke).This has just gone down to the LBS for a rear shock service and they have reported back that MOJO are refusing to service the shock because it is too old and they no longer have the parts.Instead they are offering a modern shock replacement at 20% discount off list,which is probably more than the bikes worth.

I've one of these bikes too and was planning to send mine down next as it hasn't been serviced since 2007 (when I bought it s/h off ebay)

I think this is really poor of Fox/Mojo.Does anyone know of an alternative fettler of rear shocks who could do the service,or do we just throw the bike away and buy another one?

frank.youngman":18v10rg5 said:
My wife has a 2004 Specialized Enduro with a Fox Float RL rear shock (the one with an ITCH switch to vary length of stroke).This has just gone down to the LBS for a rear shock service and they have reported back that MOJO are refusing to service the shock because it is too old and they no longer have the parts.Instead they are offering a modern shock replacement at 20% discount off list,which is probably more than the bikes worth.

I've one of these bikes too and was planning to send mine down next as it hasn't been serviced since 2007 (when I bought it s/h off ebay)

I think this is really poor of Fox/Mojo.Does anyone know of an alternative fettler of rear shocks who could do the service,or do we just throw the bike away and buy another one?

Try TF Tuned.

Alternatively, if you have more money than sense and feel like throwing the bike away to buy another one for the sake of a different rear shock, then feel free to throw it my way ;) :LOL:

gunner":3d2q5smh said:
Or pick up a replacement shock on ebay?

Very true.

I'm sure that the bike has a pretty standard shock measurement. Just measure the eye to eye length and the stroke length and buy one which matches. Job done :)

What parts would you need?
I serviced a Fox shock and it was mainly standard o-rings IIRC. The quad lip seals are a bit harder to find though. Very easy to service too.
Look for a diagram or service guide on the Internet to see what you need.

All has now resolved,we are not alone I have seen owners of bikes up to 2006 Specialized Epic complaining about servicing issue.For us it seemed to be that there were no ITCH parts available,although standard seal kits work for the air can bit.Not aware that the ITCH switch needed attention as in practice it worked perfectly.

In the end my wife decided to take up Mojo's offer of a new CTD Evolution rear shock for £228 (20% discount apparently) as the line of least resistance.Enduro's have an unusual shock length of @ 190mm or so and hopefully the new one will be correct.Unfortunately Mojo are insisting on keeping the old one so I cannot use it for spares for my own 2004 Enduro.

Whole thing leaves a bit of a sour taste in mouth.The servicing of the front and rear shocks was originally estimated at £200,I have just had my annual car service performed for £149 for 10,000 miles of motoring.At this point my love for my non-suspended retro bikes has just doubled.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

They insisted on keeping the old one?! It's your shock!

Otherwise you've just sold them a working shock for fifty something quid and bought a new one at full price!

Ah, Specialized fitting stupid sized shocks...it causes all sorts of issues a few years down the line. I had an 05 SX Trail and the shock stroke was the issue; no one aside from Cane a Creek made a shock to fit which would have cost more than the frame was worth.

It's only going to get worse now they are using a proprietary mount at one end now.

On the subject of Mojo, I find their prices pretty high and insisting on keeping the old shock is a bit off / odd in my view. Hope the new shock is ok though.

Back