bikes for kids

konahed

Kona Fan
What bikes do you recommend for children? My daughter is 3, 4 in December. Just got her a used Mongoose Twinkle with 12" wheels but she will probably need a bigger bike in a short while.

I like the look of the Islabikes Cnoc 14 and 16, but they are pricey! Ridgeback seem to make some nice kids bikes too. A little BMX would be quite cool I think for her next bike.

At that age I'd suggest any bike that they like!

My youngest daughter loves her 'Balamory' bike, complete with balamory bell. My Missus picked it up in T K Maxx, but so many people have asked us about it.

Meantime I've asked my eldest daughter (9) if she'd like a new bike or a cool bike next, and she gave the right answer!

While the Islas are pricey, they do hold their value. I've had one which I sold at a profit after two years daily use on the school run.

I would seriously think about race BMXs at the appropriate frame size. hey usually run 20 by 1 1/8 up to 20 3/8 tyres. Frames do run very small and go up in size by short increases to the toptube and seat tube to suit kids from 4 up to when they can fit a normal BMX. My daughter started on a mini and went up to a Junior but is tall for her age. My son now rides her old mini and has been riding it for a few months starting around four but again he is tall. Micro minis are a good start.

Thing with Race BMXs is they weigh virtually nothing and are tough. They also offer a good riding position if you get the right size. You can pick them up cheap on BMX forums as kids grow out of them, sure I paid no more than a hundred for either of the two I have had.

This is the boys mini -

4333897261_b397bb90a4_z.jpg

BertR00t":3j5e7gki said:
I would seriously think about race BMXs at the appropriate frame size. hey usually run 20 by 1 1/8 up to 20 3/8 tyres. Frames do run very small and go up in size by short increases to the toptube and seat tube to suit kids from 4 up to when they can fit a normal BMX. My daughter started on a mini and went up to a Junior but is tall for her age. My son now rides her old mini and has been riding it for a few months starting around four but again he is tall. Micro minis are a good start.

Thing with Race BMXs is they weigh virtually nothing and are tough. They also offer a good riding position if you get the right size. You can pick them up cheap on BMX forums as kids grow out of them, sure I paid no more than a hundred for either of the two I have had.

This is the boys mini -

Being thick but how would I know what size for an average size 4 year old, as my son is outgrowing his bikes with 14" wheels.

samsbike":1u5bzqya said:
BertR00t":1u5bzqya said:

This is the boys mini -

Being thick but how would I know what size for an average size 4 year old, as my son is outgrowing his bikes with 14" wheels.

Get one with 16" wheels, it's the next size up.

For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mongoose-Moto ... 35cbc43b02

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Interesting, thanks. I guess it depend how much you want to spend though at that age. The steel bike with 16" tyres will be a nice size, cheaper, and when they're a bit older they can jump straight to 20"

Back