Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:59 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: bikes for kids
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:40 pm 
Retro Guru

What bikes do you recommend for children? My daughter is 3, 4 in December. Just got her a used Mongoose Twinkle with 12" wheels but she will probably need a bigger bike in a short while.

I like the look of the Islabikes Cnoc 14 and 16, but they are pricey! Ridgeback seem to make some nice kids bikes too. A little BMX would be quite cool I think for her next bike.

Last edited by konahed on Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: bikes for kids
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:44 pm 
Retro Guru

http://www.frogbikes.com/[url][/url]

Not seen these in the flesh but they look very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:48 pm 
Retro Guru

At that age I'd suggest any bike that they like!

My youngest daughter loves her 'Balamory' bike, complete with balamory bell. My Missus picked it up in T K Maxx, but so many people have asked us about it.

Meantime I've asked my eldest daughter (9) if she'd like a new bike or a cool bike next, and she gave the right answer!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:21 pm 
Old School Grand Master

While the Islas are pricey, they do hold their value. I've had one which I sold at a profit after two years daily use on the school run.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:23 am 
Retro Guru

I would seriously think about race BMXs at the appropriate frame size. hey usually run 20 by 1 1/8 up to 20 3/8 tyres. Frames do run very small and go up in size by short increases to the toptube and seat tube to suit kids from 4 up to when they can fit a normal BMX. My daughter started on a mini and went up to a Junior but is tall for her age. My son now rides her old mini and has been riding it for a few months starting around four but again he is tall. Micro minis are a good start.

Thing with Race BMXs is they weigh virtually nothing and are tough. They also offer a good riding position if you get the right size. You can pick them up cheap on BMX forums as kids grow out of them, sure I paid no more than a hundred for either of the two I have had.

This is the boys mini -

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:10 pm 
Retro Guru

BertR00t wrote:
I would seriously think about race BMXs at the appropriate frame size. hey usually run 20 by 1 1/8 up to 20 3/8 tyres. Frames do run very small and go up in size by short increases to the toptube and seat tube to suit kids from 4 up to when they can fit a normal BMX. My daughter started on a mini and went up to a Junior but is tall for her age. My son now rides her old mini and has been riding it for a few months starting around four but again he is tall. Micro minis are a good start.

Thing with Race BMXs is they weigh virtually nothing and are tough. They also offer a good riding position if you get the right size. You can pick them up cheap on BMX forums as kids grow out of them, sure I paid no more than a hundred for either of the two I have had.

This is the boys mini -

Being thick but how would I know what size for an average size 4 year old, as my son is outgrowing his bikes with 14" wheels.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:34 pm 
Retro Guru

samsbike wrote:
BertR00t wrote:

This is the boys mini -

Being thick but how would I know what size for an average size 4 year old, as my son is outgrowing his bikes with 14" wheels.

Get one with 16" wheels, it's the next size up.

For example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mongoose-Moto ... 35cbc43b02

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:36 pm 
Retro Guru

thanks will start looking

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:05 pm 
Retro Guru

Smallest race bikes have 18" wheels. That mongoose is steel and heavy.

Bottom row on here http://www.harobikes.com/race/bikes

When you are sizes like 16.5" it is top tube length.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:26 pm 
Retro Guru

Interesting, thanks. I guess it depend how much you want to spend though at that age. The steel bike with 16" tyres will be a nice size, cheaper, and when they're a bit older they can jump straight to 20"