horrid front end feeling

benjy

Retro Guru
hi, trying to fig out why the front end of my bike feels unstable somtimes when going down hills or bumpy stuff, i think i know what it is an its the forks are to soft but is there any other stuff it could be? iam thinking the stem might be a tad long an unsure if thats not helping to

Forks too soft?
Forks too hard?
Forks flexing?
Head angle too steep?
Tyre pressure too high?
Tyre pressure too low?
Front wheel flexing?
Bars too narrow?
Stem too low?
Stem too long?
Stem too short?

As you can see, it could be a whole number of things. Post up a picture of your bike - this might help to work out what might be causing it.

Barneyballbags":1917h4by said:
<long list>

As you can see, it could be a whole number of things. Post up a picture of your bike - this might help to work out what might be causing it.

You forgot headset play, dead/dying bearings, cracks, loose bolts and/or QR levers, etc etc. I'm afraid a pic won't really show those, or the majority of your list either.

I'd let a mechanic or nearby forum member have a go on the bike. If you need to diagnose a handling/feel problem, nothing beats a hands-on experience.

nothing broken or loose, tyres fine, bikes not very old ( voodoo bantu ) has suntour radion forks ( air one side spring other ) it has some flex in front end but no more than most bikes

i do think its to soft but just after ideas incase it dosnt solve the problem it feels like its going to give way / under steer when braking or going fast down steep banks

is there a basic mm of the fork leght you should use under braking? ive found the sag should be about 18/20mm so will see how far that is off

A long stem would typically add a bit of stability at speed. Your position on the bike may have something to do with it too - just
to add to the above mechanical list.

i think the stem might be a tad long maby putting my weight over the front a tad? can anyone recommend a shock pump thats to to expensive

Looks like the dial reads both PSI and Bar. However there is little indexing going on there in that eBay pic. However when I google for that pump I see a different dial with 10 PSI increments. Perhaps the manufacturer changed the dial at some point and this is still the old model? Either way, make sure you don't get a pump with 25 PSI increments, as it will be pretty useless if you want to get precise pressures.

I use a RockShox pump myself. 10 PSI increments, which does allow you to make precise 5 PSI adjustments indeed. However it is twice as expensive as that Beto pump.
My only gripe with the RS pump is the position of the button that does the deflating, opposite the dial. It's right where I tend to grab the pump, but then again it may be okay for someone who is right-handed.

Back