Spot The Problem

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
O.K. so I got this 456 with On One Mixer headset cups and bearings on it. I want to stick 1.125 forks on there. Turns out On One don't sell spare 1.5 to 1.125 adapter races, for their own 'Smoothie Mixer' headset!
Pretty poor show really. I nipped in to my local bike emporium and managed to snaffle away a Hope crown reducer, so eagerly mated it up to the 1.5 crown race in anticipation of being able to get this thing on the road for a trial run. Not so fast Batman! Can you tell what the problem is?
263x5s1.jpg

169013t.jpg

nbyf7p.jpg

i was going with to short but wasnt sure if it would be a trick q but i would go with its to short an will damage the angle part that sits against the bearing

Bingo!

I was about to fit it and go ride on it..

I guess it would have been okay until I hit something a few time.

All the forces would be transmitted through that 2.5mm Al lip, only about a half a mm of it has anything behind it with the Hope reducer short by a couple of mm.

I guess I will just swap the lower headset over for a Hope 1.5 now I have the step down.

Longer term hunt is on for a tapered steerer fork, but they are such a premium over straight ones!

Back