Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:19 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: DT Swiss Forks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:42 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Are they any good?
I'll be needing some 130mm forks and have been tghinking of DT. Do they work well? Are they reliable, easy to service? Have they moved on since the Pace of old?
Ta,

Post subject: Re: DT Swiss Forks
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Not tried them myself (yet?). From what I've read, they are very highly regarded from a performance point of view. However, servicing them yourself is not really a realistic option, as they like to keep it a closed-shop in that respect. I think there are maybe two places in the UK to get them serviced.

As I said, I'm not speaking from experience, but that's what I've heard.

The new Formula forks are shaping-up quite well, so that's one of the options I'd be looking at in your position.

Regards

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:28 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

I've had some XMM 140 Twin Shot for a couple of years and think the perform very well. As good as the Fox I've had and better then the Rockshox Revelations. Just had the damper changed on mine under warrenty. Not good that it went (was still ridable, just topped out with a 'thunk') but brilliant that it was fixed for free after 23/23 months of ownership. They don't need servicing every two minutes either. :D

TF Tuned have recently started officially servicing them which is great as Pace were/are awful when it comes to DT's.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:22 am 
Old School Grand Master

brocklanders023 wrote:
I've had some XMM 140 Twin Shot for a couple of years and think the perform very well. As good as the Fox I've had and better then the Rockshox Revelations. Just had the damper changed on mine under warrenty. Not good that it went (was still ridable, just topped out with a 'thunk') but brilliant that it was fixed for free after 23/23 months of ownership. They don't need servicing every two minutes either. :D

TF Tuned have recently started officially servicing them which is great as Pace were/are awful when it comes to DT's.

It's the Pace connection I'm worried about...
How does the windy downy climbing setting work? Does it pop out while still climbing or does it take a sizeable whack to disengage?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:26 pm 

You can avoid Pace altogether now and the Twin/Single Shot forks have very little Pace in them except the look. The climb setting works by the flick of the switch. You then push down a bit and they stay at that level. They do not 'pop off' very easily, in fact I'm not sure if I've ever made mine. Pushing the lever all the way fully locks them out. To open them you just turn it back until it clicks, then the forks do a natty pop back to full hight. It's a good system and they're good forks. I'd recommend them without hesitation, and that's coming from some one that falls out with forks on a regular basis!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:48 pm 
98+ BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

Had the XMM 29er 100mm fork, started creaking like hell and the lock out failed within 3 months ...... took a lot of time/mails etc. for 'm to admit it was a production fault and solve it......... not impressed with quality and customer care ...... didn't ride to bad though ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:41 pm 
Retro Guru

The ones reviewed in the most recent Singletrack mag got good reviews but they're pretty damn expensive (as most forks are these days).

Personally I'll be looking at X Fusion when my 36's die. They seem to be able to produce great forks for much less than the major places. They're supposed to feel great out of the box and have metal internals.