The next 'Big Thing' in ATB's

joss

Retro Guru
What will be the next 'Big Thing' in hardtails?

A couple of years ago I purchased an S'Works Stumpjumper M5, polished finish. A great looking frame.

My thoughts were that it might be the ultimate alloy frame, I could not see why anyone would spend big money on R&D for developing a new Alloy frame.
Surely they would spend money on developing new materials or components rather than tinkering at the edges.
Did I buy the last of the of line of innovative alloy frames?
I have several steel bikes and frames, this is the only alloy frame I own, I have just built it up with odd bits and pieces and have been very impressed with the ride quality and handling, speed is awesome!

Any thoughts or suggestions on the next innovate/creative new development in MTB's?

Your right there Chap!
They are regurgitating old stuff in new packaging and then pass it over to the marketing team to prise our wallets open.

Lighter, Lighter, Lighter

But what is new?

Bikes evolve, they get 'better' every year.

The next big thing in hardtails will be compliance, something that aluminium will never have due to it's fatigue properties.

Composite construction will continue to get cheaper, your 'alloy' bike will probably have snapped by then, and you'll be ready to buy a compliant composite offering from Can of Coke Industries.

LoL!

Yeah your on the money
So, my Alloy Stumpy may not be such a good investment?

Anyone fancy a Specialized M5 Stumpy in great nick, great investment for the future, a legend, no cracks( other than wisecracks)
Or is it a Leg End?

You have one of the last real thoroughbread mass produced cross country alloy frames, unless you look at scott scales etc. But alloy frames have moved on massively. Throw your leg over a saracen zen, ragley or similar and see the difference in geometry. For me they ride so much better now then 10 years ago.

Those stumpies have something crazy like a 24" top tube. So stretched out. Takes some getting used to now.

Most R&D in materials is done elsewhere than the cycle industry.

Many motor manufacturers have moved in using Al so I expect plenty of development with that material, and of course cycle manufacturers will pick up on anything suitable.

Composites are still a fraction of overall production, I think steel based and aluminium based frames will be around a long time yet.

Steel is still king if you want a durable, do all and throw it in the back of the van frame.

To be honest, the geometry has a far greater effect on the 'ride' of a bike than the material the frame is made from.

Back