Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:09 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:03 pm 
Retro Guru

Hi, after trying this as my first post in the road section with not 1 reply I'm hoping for a bit more luck here!
As per title, any recommendations please? I'm after a bit more grip in the wet and ice as I had a couple of spills last year! Thanks! :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:16 pm 
Retro Guru

Continental GP 4 Seasons is a good tyre in the wet and has good puncture protection too. I don't think much will grip on sheet ice short of spiked tyres, however knobbly cyclo cross tyres might have more purchase on the textured tarmac surface on frosty mornings, assuming your bike has clearance for such tyres.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:18 pm 
Retro Guru

Yeah clearance not an issue as its a cannondale bad boy hybrid! Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:23 pm 
Retro Guru

Best deal I've seen on the GP 4 seasons is here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-gra ... and-tubes/

You can get two tyres for a similar price elsewhere but here you get 2 free tubes which would otherwise have cost you £9.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:17 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I wouldn't dream of using anything but a studded Schwalbe in winter anymore. Pricey, but when it's icy they are amazing - you do not have to slow down at all! When it's not they are heavy and slow however!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:52 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Location: Wherever it is, I'm being just that little bit more Lance
Dead Rats wrote:
I wouldn't dream of using anything but a studded Schwalbe in winter anymore. Pricey, but when it's icy they are amazing - you do not have to slow down at all! When it's not they are heavy and slow however!

+1 if you're commuting in icy conditions. Been using these for 3 winters and they're brilliant. I use the Ice Spiker for full on snow.

For regular commuting I use Schwalbe Marathon plus. My commute is 5000miles a year in all weathers on a mixture of A&B road, farm trails and bridle paths. They cope with anything brilliantly and the most puncture resistant tyre I've ever used, far more so that the Contis I regrettably tried a few years ago before switching back to the Schwalbes a few month's later.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:59 pm 
Retro Guru

Where I live we don't get much snow. Last winter on snow day I cycled to work on a fixie with semi slick Conti Travel Contacts :lol: , only took me 2 hours to do the 15 miles.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:13 pm 
Retro Guru

Tad wrote:
Dead Rats wrote:

+1 if you're commuting in icy conditions. Been using these for 3 winters and they're brilliant. I use the Ice Spiker for full on snow.

For regular commuting I use Schwalbe Marathon plus. My commute is 5000miles a year in all weathers on a mixture of A&B road, farm trails and bridle paths. They cope with anything brilliantly and the most puncture resistant tyre I've ever used, far more so that the Contis I regrettably tried a few years ago before switching back to the Schwalbes a few month's later.

I've not tried the Schwalbe Marathon Plus but I've just googled it and yes with thick rubber smart guard layer I don't doubt your claims regarding puncture protection. It is however twice the weight of a typical Conti in the same size, something to be aware of!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:08 pm 
Retro Guru

I have used m+ in 700 guise and while they are heavy I haven't really noticed much difference compared to a durano plus.

The latter is also a good choice as its lighter than the M+