How much travel can my '98 GT Backwoods take safely?

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
It's on the way, and is all original at the mo, with Indy S forks, but I'm going for a super lightweight build, if not on him, then my Avalanche of the same age, so the same question applies either way.

As they're both sus corrected, is the axle to crown measurement more important than the actual travel of the forks, I'm thinking 100mm SIDs or similar....?? Both have very short head tubes as they're tiny frames.

I suspect you'll be fine with 100mm. Obviously if the frames are tiny the forks will probably look massive but if it rides ok what's the problem? Is there any chance you could buy two sets of Sids ad try them both out for size, you might find one rides much better for you.

Wish I could, if I had the money I would, as it is I'll be struggling to fund one pair! :LOL:

As the Avalanche had Judy SL's on it as original spec, I don't think 100mm will be a problem either, I'm not going to worry about head angles, etc, too much.

judy sl's are 63mm? (63 rings a bell anyway), I run an 80mm manitou on my 96 xizang and it works well, but not too sure how well 100mm would go.
My old DB Axis that came with a 2in fork, was fine with 2 1/2 and 3in, but going to 4in made it a bit wonky

Ah, I thought SL meant they were at least 80mm, but thinking about it.... :?

Avalanche is running Z4's at the mo, think they're 80mm, and it handles better than anything I've ever owned, so perhaps best to stick to no more than that...

Will keep an eye on them, to be honest Marzocchi's idea of 'light' seems to be a lot heavier than Rock Shox though.... :LOL:

LikeClockwork":15vuaxga said:
Will keep an eye on them, to be honest Marzocchi's idea of 'light' seems to be a lot heavier than Rock Shox though.... :LOL:
About 1.65kg according to Weight Weenies, so not too bad really.

Regards

Back