Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:53 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:04 pm 
Dirt Disciple

The short version of the long story is I bought this, new, in about 2000. It was stolen about 2 years ago, and it finally turned up on ebay a month ago. I won the auction and recovered it.

I like the shape of the frame, it works off and on road for me - its longish, low, and the paint and decals are still really good. It's 9 speed x3.

As it's been with me for years and was clearly destined to come back to me, I've decided to treat it. It hadn't been used for a year before it went as the chain and chainset were a bit knackered from an incident. Possibly taking the 9 speed cassette with it? The left deore lx 9sp shifter doesn't always engage either.

It has an STX - RC crank, which is in good condition. Regrettably, the lbs say that stx-rc chain rings had their own unique mounting pattern, and are no longer available. They say I need a new chainset. Its a square taper, 68mm shell, and as far as I can ascertain, a 113mm axle. What are my options other than a new alivio? I am so confused trying to work out what will or won't fit!

1 - am I stuck to old cranks due to the axle width - ie the chainline being right for the frame - it is 9 speed. Or assuming I can use octolink or octolink 2? would a more modern crankset with a new BB be wise - and will I find one that fits and gives a good chainline? I assume that I can't use the new external bearing BB's?

2 - should I take the opportunity to refurb the whole drivetrain, and if so, what other compatibility issues will I face? Could I go 2x10?

It's got Rockshox Judy XC air forks. I cant find much about them other than they were not good new, and about 63mm?

1 - Would I ruin the handling by putting say an 80mm more modern fork on, perhaps slipping on a shorter stem and riser bars to make up for the height? the head angle is 70'5 according to Orange.

2- Can you still get 80mm forks, or longer ones that can be spaced/packed down to 80mm?

Its got wtb speed rims and Ritchey hubs and Avid V brakes. The frame does have a disc mount tab on the rear, and I'm thinking of new wheels and disks after getting the chainset sorted.

- Recommendations?

I would like to lose some weight from the bike, and make it as "up to date" as a 14 yo frame can accomdate? What would you do to it? Or should I just get a more modern frame and forget about it? I did briefly have a 2012 Orange g2 - much more modern but the handling was just "ok", it didn't seem to have the character/soul of the P7. (and it got nicked as well a couple of weekends ago!)