fork oil - whats the dilly-o?

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
any reason i cant use any brand of fork oil if its the right weight? (e.g. motorcycle fork oil...)

I imagine it depends upon the fork, but I used a heavier oil motorcycle fork oil to increase the damping on my rockshox. No issues yet, and that was years ago...

I regularly use motorbike fork oil. They come in lots of different weights and are a fraction of the price of mtb specific stuff. Think I'm paying around £4.99 for 500ml.

No reason at all, they do the same job. A lot are the same stuff, the stuff I currently use is sold at CRC and a local Motorcycle shop.
Rock Oil SVI Is £6 delivered for 500ml from CRC, which is cheaper than me popping to the local shop once I factor in petrol

You could use moto oïl, but do not refer to the weight advertise on the bottle. You should refer to viscosity at 40°C. Now, how to know the viscosity of OEM oïl, you could do a research on Google, our ask here.

Tere are some oïl that keep they viscosity at 100°C, but that less usefull on a bike as the suepsnsion il less prone to heat.

here is a good reference:
http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index. ... sion_Fluid

Have fun.

Back