SRAM/Shimano cassettes

jimplops

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I know that SRAM/Shimano shifters and mechs aren't cross compatible, having never run any SRAM gear, can you use their 10spd cassettes with Shimano mechs?

Cheers

Jim

Yes, the cassettes are interchangeable with others with the same number of sprockets.

Interchangeable. I don't think there's much between them, although I typically prefer Shimano cassettes because I think the shifting is a tad smoother.

Tbh not much in them apart from weight depending the spec you go for.
On my caffiene f4 I have shimano xt
And the other caffiene f2 I have a pg990 redwin
The xt is the lighter one of the two

yes - cassettes are compatible - shimano are lighter at similar price level.

X0 have nice coloured alloy carriers but are 10 g heavier than XT.

Ok thanks for that, tbh other than running a mavic suntour mix in the early 90s I'm a Shimano man, so will probably stick with the tried and trusted.

Only the shifters mechs etc that SRAM run on the 1:1 ratio are not compatible I thought. SRAM also do 2:1 ratio shifters the same as shimano.

Found this explanation on another forum:
SRAMs X series is all dedicated to their 1:1 pull ratio. From X.0 all the way down to X.3 and also anything with ESP as part of the model name. SRAM drlrs and shifters ONLY.

SRAM products that are Shimano compatible are any 2:1 ratio models that include MRX as part of the model name, Centera, and Attack in GripShift. The TRX trigger-shift models also work with Shimano drlrs.

So SRAM is not a total failure as long as you check the actuation ratio is the same, 2:1 ;)

velomaniac":33jboc6y said:
Only the shifters mechs etc that SRAM run on the 1:1 ratio are not compatible I thought. SRAM also do 2:1 ratio shifters the same as shimano.

Found this explanation on another forum:
SRAMs X series is all dedicated to their 1:1 pull ratio. From X.0 all the way down to X.3 and also anything with ESP as part of the model name. SRAM drlrs and shifters ONLY.

SRAM products that are Shimano compatible are any 2:1 ratio models that include MRX as part of the model name, Centera, and Attack in GripShift. The TRX trigger-shift models also work with Shimano drlrs.

So SRAM is not a total failure as long as you check the actuation ratio is the same, 2:1 ;)

also SRAM Rocket trigger shifters are Shimano compatible

Back