Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:47 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:27 pm 
Retro Guru

Seriously rethink your route, the guy who wrote the guide in wrong in the head, we've just got into Shap after hours of torment, all of Mosdale is bog, totally unridable and up to your knees in places.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:28 pm 
Retro Guru

Oh and it's really hot and sunny today, shorts and tee shirt weather :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14 pm 
Retro Guru

Did the C2C some years ago and have nothing to add to the good advice above except to pack some trainers for the pub / restaurant, as a week of wet feet would be misery. BTW you are in for a great ride, let us know how you get on. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Nearly died on the way to Kirkby Stephen last night, as I said in ny previous post Mosdale is a bog which drained the life out of us. There's about 5km of off road shortly after Kirby Stephen which starts at OS 838 096 I suggest that you avoid this as most of it is unrideable at the moment and I suggest you take cycle route 71 instead.

Also a tip I was given the other night; wear bib shorts, I've not tried it but apparently it's alot more comfortable than an elasticated waist band.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Nearly died on the way to Kirkby Stephen last night, as I said in ny previous post Mosdale is a bog which drained the life out of us. There's about 5km of off road shortly after Kirby Stephen which starts at OS 838 096 I suggest that you avoid this as most of it is unrideable at the moment and I suggest you take cycle route 71 instead.

Also a tip I was given the other night; wear bib shorts, I've not tried it but apparently it's alot more comfortable than an elasticated waist band.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:17 pm 
Retro Guru

Another up date, had a nice gentle road ride from Grinton to Osmotherly, the route only has a couple of miles of off road shortly after Geintonbut to access them you have ford a river which would have been over our knees and we'd had enough wet feet by that point.

The next stage, Osmotherly to Glaisdale has the best biking so far and is nearly all off road to make up for the previous days road stage, near the start there's a hidious un-rideable section but don't let that put you off, once you get up on the Moors everything gets better, although it is windy up there so take a good wind proof.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:04 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Rob,

I am now back from my holiday and have a decent internet connection. Your updates are much appreciated and we'll probably adjust our routes like you said.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:26 am 
Retro Guru

Final tip book yourself into a B&B in Robin Hood's Bay as opposed to staying in the Youth Hostel in Boggle Hole, whilst the rest of the hostel on route are perfectly adequate for the C2C, Boggle Hole is full of screaming children, and if you're as knackered as I am it's the last thing you want, although it might be quieter went you do it as they should be back in school.

Enjoy your trip.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:37 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

One tip from my father-in-law ...

Take some carrier bags or empty crisp packets - if your feet / shoes get wet dry them off, put dry socks on and put the bags over your feet. Then put your shoes on over the top - your feet might be a little cold from the shoes initially but your feet warm up, and your shoes dry out!

Sounds odd, but does work really well!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:48 pm 

Good tip! Thank you. I was planning to use Sealskins for socks but this is a good tip for when I am not having them on.