Reasons to be cheerful!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

Today I overcame a long standing fear of mine...changing hoses and bleeding disc brakes!! I had always though it a bit of a "dark art"...With my new bike suddenly needing some work to the front brake (lost all oil and useless) and a big ride planned today I headed for my LBS. After a chat with a really helpful yoof (suprisingly un patronising!) I was kitted out with a new hose, bleed kit and some oil. I got home sat in the garage fearing the worst, but set about it in a methodical way. An hour later all the work was done and the brakes were better than they had been in the first place! I got to go on my ride, have all the kit to do it again if need be and the LBS were charging £60 for a disc brake service!

Happy days indeed and thats it now there aint a job I wont tackle when it comes to bikes retro and modern!

A reason to be cheerful!

Doug

I guess it was in the 98- section :LOL:

I suspect there are many on here who appreciate the satisfaction you get when something can be fixed without paying someone else to do it, especially so when the job is also done with more care and better as the necessary time is taken,

although to be honest I really don't have a scooby as to how bike disc brakes work

wookiee":d3nj98zk said:
Hi

Today I overcame a long standing fear of mine...changing hoses and bleeding disc brakes!! I had always though it a bit of a "dark art"...With my new bike suddenly needing some work to the front brake (lost all oil and useless) and a big ride planned today I headed for my LBS. After a chat with a really helpful yoof (suprisingly un patronising!) I was kitted out with a new hose, bleed kit and some oil. I got home sat in the garage fearing the worst, but set about it in a methodical way. An hour later all the work was done and the brakes were better than they had been in the first place! I got to go on my ride, have all the kit to do it again if need be and the LBS were charging £60 for a disc brake service!

Happy days indeed and thats it now there aint a job I wont tackle when it comes to bikes retro and modern!

A reason to be cheerful!

Doug

Good news :)

You are not to far from me if you want to do mine ;)

widowmaker":19kuyzt8 said:
wookiee":19kuyzt8 said:
Hi

A reason to be cheerful!

Doug

Good news :)

You are not to far from me if you want to do mine ;)

Depends if they are Shimano then I am happy to help as thats the bleed kit I have!

well done, but Shimano are easy peasy, get yourself a pair of Formula R1 or better still a pair of Avid Elixir and then the fun really begins .....

02gf74":2qzbwr7o said:
well done, but Shimano are easy peasy, get yourself a pair of Formula R1 or better still a pair of Avid Elixir and then the fun really begins .....

...i'll stick with the easy peasy thanks!

Back