Replacement XT shifter Window plastic...

RichCollinsUK

Devout Dirtbag
You guys know where to get replacement plastic windows for XT shifters? I bought some on here and they're really badly scratched. Can barely see through...

Thanks!

how badly scratched? i have seen the windows sold on the web as well as ebay.

the alternative is to polish the pllastic - depending on how deep the scratches are, rub down with find wet'n'dry going to 1200 grade, then finish off with perpec plix - maybe using toothpaste will leave them sufficiently clear.

or whip em off, cover the hole and save a few grams?

which model XT are they? seen a few on STW f/s, presumably as above - they're not really needed

02gf74":1bab6ahk said:
how badly scratched? i have seen the windows sold on the web as well as ebay.

the alternative is to polish the pllastic - depending on how deep the scratches are, rub down with find wet'n'dry going to 1200 grade, then finish off with perpec plix - maybe using toothpaste will leave them sufficiently clear.

Thanks for the input! I've never rubbed down clear plastic, I had no idea it would work! I'll give it a try.

What's a perspec plix? What would I use the toothpaste for?

Thanks in advance,

R.

i did this to a pair of mine, i did not spend a huge amount of time so they are not perfect but if I persisted I am sure they would be pretty much ok. toothpaste contains very fine particles of abrasive - it can be used as a polishing compound, quite often scratched CDs can be fixed by polishing with toothpaste and smell minty too!

BTW i am pretty sure the black segment decals to show which gear is selected are on the inside so no danger of rubbing them off.

I totally removed the displays on mine after i lost a window in a crash :LOL:

Think mine are the m739 group though (ish)

Back