Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:41 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:46 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Thanks for all the advice, i do agree that building wheels could get expensive,I've snapped up bargain wheelsets on here before, i just seem to be missing out on them of late! Ill check out the offers made on this thread :) i would like to get a complete set and am in no rush. Wheel building is on my list of skills to obtain though :p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:02 am 
Retro Guru

There's always the option of buying "knackered" wheels very very cheap as a base to start. More often than not, it's the rims that are worn or damaged so you can re-use the hubs and all / most spokes. Then keep you eyes out for some right dimension
rims / hole count. Sounds like a faff, but you'll get some practice de-lacing, a feel for the materials, and keep the costs down
in your first attempt. When you re-lace a hub, make sure you position the spokes exactly like the original build. I pretty much
learned wheel building by doing several hub transplants before I built a fresh set of wheels; acquiring the skill is very satisfying as it's arguably the most advanced wrenching skill needed for a bike.

Agree that older Shimano XT or LX are top-notch - in fact some models of the old LX (M560 I think) have the same seals, cones and bearings as XT / Ultegra and the main difference being a Cro-Mo axle vs Steel. Don't go for fancy straight pull spokes etc. in your first attempt and pay extra for a good quality spoke key.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:12 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Just wanted to add,

I did a set myself a while back. Assuming you have everything correct( I had a more skilled mate measure up for me). It is probably one of the most satisfying things I have done. His advice was get a quality spoke key as cheaper ones can easily round the nipples.

I haven't done a second full set yet. I now practice one a couple of old wheels that I don't use anymore.. If you can afford it.. Give it a go.