a quick search reveals £ 110 for a new pair

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tru-Build-26- ... _913wt_980

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:55 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

02gf74 wrote:
a quick search reveals £ 110 for a new pair

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tru-Build-26- ... _913wt_980

about the same price as a used pair of Hope XC / Deore XT on Mavic 317... I wouldn't be buying the Tru Builds personally. Last pair of wheels I built (for 29er) were barely used XT centre-locks hubs on slightly used 700c Rigida Sputnik rims, set me back about a ton with DB spokes and an afternoon of fettling. Must add cost of QRs and c/l rotors too to be fair.

OP - cheap, light AND strong takes time to find / build

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:08 pm 
Retro Guru

I've bagged myself a couple of great condition used 717/XT/LX wheelsets in the past for about £60 delivered. If you have time to be patient, the bargains will come along eventually. One set was on here, and the other on eBay.

Regards

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:12 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

02gf74 wrote:
... buying parts separately usually ends up being more expensive.

Much more expensive, for the same quality in my experience.

You'll spend £20+ on decent spokes. plus, what, £15 at your LBS getting them trued?

twain wrote:
budget:
Hubs: £25ish??
Rims: £30ish??
Spokes: £ no idea, never bought them before....

My maths say you're up to £90 there...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:50 am 
Retro Guru

Can I hijack alittle here?
I built my own wheels a while a go, but never finished them, they were Chris King hubs on DT swiss rims, black spokes and various coloured alloy nipples (my dream set), Ive laced them up, they look fine, but I haven't tightened and trued them up. Would it be cheeky of me to take these to my LBS to finish them off? If I do how much is a LBS likely to charge? I live in Coventry, West Midlands, anyone know a good place to take these?

To the OP, I found it pretty easy lacing these up, time consuming though, its only the tightening/trueing that I would struggle with as I don't want to risk damaging anything, not being confident in carrying on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:21 am 
Old School Hero

To A_Venables, Hi I know a good man but he is in Bilston just your side of Wolverhampton. He used to build the top end wheels for Saracen, Marin and Whyte bikes when they first started. He's pretty much retired now but can be persuaded to do the odd job now and again.
He still builds Bromptons wheels I believe.
PM me if interested and I'll give him a call.
Cheers Kit :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:40 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

twain wrote:
going to attempt to lace them up myself (then give to a LBS to true/dish as appropriate).

I could true and centre them for you if you want to save the £10-20 at the LBS.

twain wrote:
about the spokes - i guess a visit to sheldon brown would be in order. but if there is a quick easy method to determine what i need, then i'm all for hearing that.....of course i know i need to match hub/rim holes, so i guess thatas why starting with hub and rim first makes sense....

This site http://leonard.io/edd/ is fairly reliable. As Andy suggested though, those M555 hubs aren't featured there. I never liked the look of them myself, but I suppose they must work otherwise Big S wouldn't have put them out.

An alternative is if you want to get your spokes from Chain Reaction, just quote them your hub/rim spec and they will send you the right length spokes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:19 pm 
Retro Guru

Old Kit wrote:
To A_Venables, Hi I know a good man but he is in Bilston just your side of Wolverhampton. He used to build the top end wheels for Saracen, Marin and Whyte bikes when they first started. He's pretty much retired now but can be persuaded to do the odd job now and again.
He still builds Bromptons wheels I believe.
PM me if interested and I'll give him a call.
Cheers Kit :)

Thanks for the offer, no doubt he would build a very, very strong wheelset looking at who hes built them for, but I was looking for a LBS alittle closer to home? I'll bear your offer in mind though, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:15 pm 
Retro Guru

Twain,

Bravo for having a crack at wheelbuilding yourself. It's tricky, but immensely satisfying.

If you want some rims, I have some black disc specific DT Swiss rims for sale, the ad is in the 98> for sale section.

However, it is possible to get a set of wheels for not much money. I bought some Mavics last week on here, for less than the cost of my proposed build with the DT rims I no longer need.

If you're after a set of do anything, good strong wheels though, I may have just the thing. I just removed a compete wheelset from my 2000 ish Schwinn 4 Banger. They're ludicrously strong, very reliable, reasonably light, easy to service (just push some new readily available sealed bearings in and they are instantly as new), and are a mix of black and chrome. They're in very good nick, and are disc or rim brake compatible. They aren't from a 'label' maker though, but what they lack in pedigree they make up for in price. They would fall well inside your budget.

Pictures here, in the 'what's is worth' thread;
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=140396&=1997810#p1997810

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:48 am 
Old School Grand Master

look in the sales forum here - someone is selling a shed load of wheels, very low priced.