Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:44 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:51 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 3972
Location: Brighton
never done this before, i cant find a set of wheels i'd be happy to part my money with also, i dont have the up front cash to buy a full set, so, i'm thinking of slowly building up a set.

ideally, i'd like it to fit in well with my LXm580 groupset, but doing a quick search i cant find LX M580 disc hubs, so, alternatives must be sought.

the wheels would be used on my commuter/xc bike (rigid) 2004 Marin Nail trail. so something reliable, good strong build but with a sensible price tag.

firstly i'd like to get the hubs sorted:

Hubs
i'm partial to Shimano hubs, mostly due to their availability second hand and the prices they come up at.
need to be nine speed hub for rear and disc compatible.

then Rims:
no idea on this. any suggestions welcome.

spokes:
even less of an idea on this than the rims :|


budget:
Hubs: £25ish??
Rims: £30ish??
Spokes: £ no idea, never bought them before....

colours: black/grey i'd be happy with. not really doing any bling thing on this bike, so understated, nothing flashy really.

is this a suitable way to approach building a wheelset? or am i going about it fack-to-bront?

any advice/pointers appreciated :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:20 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 8202
Location: New Forest, UK
I agree with you on the hubs - Shimano are fabulous value for money, well-built and durable. However I think that there is only miniscule difference between Deore and XT/XTR. The top end ones are marginally lighter, have the same seals but actually smaller, weaker bearings to accommodate an aluminium axle. I bet nobody can tell the difference in the dark! I have a Deore LX rear that has outlasted 3 bikes and done several tens of thousand miles with 3 or 4 new freehub bodies.

I'd go for a set with double butted spokes, Deore hubs and Mavic 317 or (better) 717.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:31 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 3972
Location: Brighton
hamster wrote:
I agree with you on the hubs - Shimano are fabulous value for money, well-built and durable. However I think that there is only miniscule difference between Deore and XT/XTR. The top end ones are marginally lighter, have the same seals but actually smaller, weaker bearings to accommodate an aluminium axle. I bet nobody can tell the difference in the dark! I have a Deore LX rear that has outlasted 3 bikes and done several tens of thousand miles with 3 or 4 new freehub bodies.

I'd go for a set with double butted spokes, Deore hubs and Mavic 317 or (better) 717.



thanks for the advice, going to attempt to lace them up myself (then give to a LBS to true/dish as appropriate).

about the spokes - i guess a visit to sheldon brown would be in order. but if there is a quick easy method to determine what i need, then i'm all for hearing that.....of course i know i need to match hub/rim holes, so i guess thatas why starting with hub and rim first makes sense....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:43 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 3972
Location: Brighton
just seen these on the forum for £30 the pair:

Image

what kind of spokes would i need for these?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:06 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 2942
Location: Platsa, Messinias, Greece
They use normal spokes but the difficulty would be calculating the spoke lengths if none of the online calculators have M555 listed. I haven't checked, mind you.
I'd use something like M756 hubs if you want to use Shimano.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:23 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 10798
Location: Manchester, UK
funky looking m555 hubs... but as stated I'd stick with XT or LX myself, they've noticeably smoother bearings IME and to me the M555 look like a cracked flange waiting to happen (unless anyone knows otherwise!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:35 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:33 pm
Posts: 3972
Location: Brighton
they're centre lock, but they are within my price range - and a set.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-SLX-D ... 3cd428689f


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:58 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:55 pm
Posts: 8202
Location: New Forest, UK
Look on CRC: you can almost get a pair new for that kind of money.

The long-distance touring guys have gone off the top end Shimano stuff due to undersized bearings compared to the parts of the range still with the bulletproof old cup and cone on steel axles.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:06 pm
Posts: 4423
Location: Herts UK
twain wrote:
never done this before, i cant find a set of wheels i'd be happy to part my money with also, i dont have the up front cash to buy a full set, so, i'm thinking of slowly building up a set.



what is your budget? I am sure if you look around on the internet forums, shops, ebay etc you will come up with something pretty decent to fit the bill - buying parts separately usually ends up being more expensive.

wait until you ahve funds then buy - no point buyying the bits since you ain;t going amnywhare until you have the lot plus if you have never built a wheel, you may mess it up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:21 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm
Posts: 10798
Location: Manchester, UK
02gf74 wrote:
twain wrote:
never done this before, i cant find a set of wheels i'd be happy to part my money with also, i dont have the up front cash to buy a full set, so, i'm thinking of slowly building up a set.



what is your budget? I am sure if you look around on the internet forums, shops, ebay etc you will come up with something pretty decent to fit the bill - buying parts separately usually ends up being more expensive.

wait until you ahve funds then buy - no point buyying the bits since you ain;t going amnywhare until you have the lot plus if you have never built a wheel, you may mess it up.


also true... unless you MUST build them hang fire, every now & then a superb set of used wheels comes up for a ton or so.


Last edited by Dead Rats on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Andy B, gradeAfailure and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group