Recommended workstand?

gunner

Old School Hero
Feedback
View
Having cut my hand open trying to remove a bottom bracket yesterday (don't ask), I've decided it may be time to invest in a workstand.

Don't want to pay crazy prices but not looking for something from poundland either.

Any advice?

I got me one of these for around £50 :

zoom_asset_11883982.jpg

It's called "velo works" and I picked it up at my local Decathlon.
Been using it for close to 2 years now, best £50 I ever spent.

MarinMartin":2cfy4dto said:
is this one any good? or is it cheap for a reason?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BICYCLE-REPAI ... 3cc57b421d

Looks just like the ones Lidl and Aldi regularly have on special promotion for £30, I've got one of those myself and for home use I really can't fault it, it's stable and secure and does all I need to maintain my various bikes.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
the Lidl one is good, its been sat outside my workshop for over a year through sun and snow and hasnt done anything more than just sit there holding bikes.

I've got a Minoura one. Bombproof. Think it is the 4000 model. Has a nice little tray on the top, that you forget is there and then spend hours trying to work out where you put a bolt or somesuch vital fastener. Can also be used for putting tea on too.

Bottom brackets on a workstand. :?

I'm assuming you were applying the technical force known as 'giving it some'? Workstand ain't gonna help. Stubborn BBs trick: go out to the garden, lay your trusty steed on the lawn (nice and soft), apply tool to BB. By doing it this way you can put you upper body weight onto the BB tool, keeping it in place, whilst allowing you to use your other hand to 'giving it some'. If you try this job with the bike vertical you can't use your bodyweight to keep the tool in place.

(My other top tip - when removing chain ring bolts wear gardening gloves. Learnt that one from experience)

Workstands are brilliant, save loads of hassle, and a sore back. But I really wouldn't trust a 'mobile' stand to any job that involves brute force or an engineer's hammer. (A bike shop stand fixed to the floor is a different matter).

Back