Hope Mini - Stripped Caliper Thread

Barneyballbags

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I've managed to be a colossal helmet and strip one of the caliper threads on my Hope Mini. It was 100% my fault, as I was using a regular length bolt and quite a few washers, so the bolt ended up being slightly too short to thread all the way into the caliper and the rest, as they say, is history.

The end result is that I now have a caliper with only about 40% thread remaining in the one mount. I've actually put the brakes up for sale as they are, but I'd like to try to fix them if I can.

Luckily, my grandad has a veritable Aladdin's cave full of tools and bits, so I figured that I might try to file down the back of the caliper mount a little bit (there's plenty of material there by the look of it), so that I can squeeze a little nut in there to grab on to a slightly longer caliper bolt. Basically, I want a bolt long enough to go through the caliper, out the back and tighten into the nut.

Would it work? I'm aware that I can't have the bolt too long, otherwise it'll be poking into the disc rotor and that would prove to be 'interesting'!!

Here's a pic of the offending mount:

IMAG0145_zps4b2285cf.jpg

You could put the bolt through the caliper from the wheel side , nip it up and then fit it to the frame using a nut n washer on the outside .

Matthews":23v6jf76 said:
You could put the bolt through the caliper from the wheel side , nip it up and then fit it to the frame using a nut n washer on the outside .

Countersink it from the back for a flush finish if needed :D

WD :D

there is not a huge amount of metal aroudn those holes; m6 helicoil is drilled to 6.2mm plus some more removed when tapped - looks like it will be ok.

Back