Tripple Ring Compatibility Choices - Sourced Seperately

Wylie

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi, Still on my first real build :oops: (2004 Stumpy FSR) and i'm hoping to seek advice from you guys/gals on getting the right rings for a tripple front setup. I have a new 8spd chain & an almost mint 8spd cassette and have just bought some diabolus 175mm cranks / X-Type BB. It does seem likely that i will be hunting down each ring seperately (Here, there & GayBay) ...which would make it far too easy for a noob like me to end up getting incompatible parts :roll:

I was hoping to go for some blingy anodized middleburns or similar in a 22 / 32 / 42-44 flavour, but how can i tell if the ring i might be looking at is for single front setup? or for use in a tripple setup?

As i understand it, i can run an 8spd chain/cassette on 8/9spd front rings right? ...so what happens if you run an 8spd chain/cassette on 9/10spd front rings?

Anyways, any help would be as always, very gratefully appreciated ;)

Cheers,
Steve :mrgreen:

You can run any speed rings, there I s no difference other than marketing puff. Make sure you buy rings for the right PCD (bolt spacing) and it will all work fine. If you want to buy a set, take a look at Stronglight at Spa cycles.
Any of Middleburn, Stronglight or TA last well. Shimano are made of some weird form of silvery Dairylea.

What about the single ring specific ones? ...surely their no good for shifting, as they don't have ramps/pins etc.

Cranks are 104/64 BCD.

Will check out Spa Cycles, thanks man ;)

We all managed to get chainrings to shift before Shimano added all their pins etc. I run unramped on most of my bikes.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It doesn't have the counter bored recesses for the chainring bolt. If you fit it as a middle the chain will snag on the bolt heads.

I made up a chainset using Raceface cranks and Middleburn rings, its easier said than done. Might have been because I used separate pieces and had no template to go by, im not sure. I struggled getting the spacing right as the cranks I bought didn't come with spacers and bolts. Make sure you get the PCD right as said before. If your worried about shifting, get the slick shift ones (have ramps), cant remember the ones I have but they look mint (red raceface turbine LP and blue middleburn rings) If your using cranks you have, make sure you keep the spacers and bolts that come with the original chainset, it'll make it a lot easier!

Race face are unusual in that they use separate spacers. For something like Shimano, simply bung the rings on and tighten the bolts. End of.

hamster":1mef6cvu said:
Race face are unusual in that they use separate spacers. For something like Shimano, simply bung the rings on and tighten the bolts. End of.

Good to know! Had so much difficulty trying to get the spacers, ended up buying 2 sets of cranks (first ones were missing) to make one full set with spacers! Nightmare!

Back