Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:22 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:51 pm 
Old School Hero

Oh sorry I think I get it now. No, I believe it should be the same, since the seattube length doesn't really affect the geometry in any way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:53 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joe of Loath wrote:
Oh sorry I think I get it now. No, I believe it should be the same, since the seattube length doesn't really affect the geometry in any way.

Thanks mate! New to the world of 29er been riding 26" for the last 25 years!!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:42 pm 
Retro Guru

wookiee wrote:
Wow so a 29er frame size for you? 12"?

I'm in the process of getting a custom titanium 29er plus frame built with clearance for Surly Knards - frame size comes out at a diddly 298mm centre to centre, a 95mm IS44 headtube and running a 440mm rigid fork to keep the front end low. It'll probably look like the b@stard child of a BMX and a fat bike! Based on my experiences of thrashing my mates on their full-suss 26ers, both uphill and down, I don't care if it looks ridiculous if it leaves a big grin on my face and I won't need to spend a fortune replacing seals and bushes every year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:14 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

monty dog wrote:
wookiee wrote:
Wow so a 29er frame size for you? 12"?

I'm in the process of getting a custom titanium 29er plus frame built with clearance for Surly Knards - frame size comes out at a diddly 298mm centre to centre, a 95mm IS44 headtube and running a 440mm rigid fork to keep the front end low. It'll probably look like the b@stard child of a BMX and a fat bike! Based on my experiences of thrashing my mates on their full-suss 26ers, both uphill and down, I don't care if it looks ridiculous if it leaves a big grin on my face and I won't need to spend a fortune replacing seals and bushes every year.

Ok when I said 12" I was joking! But hey what ever suits you mate!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:03 pm 

wookiee wrote:
well I'm just shy of 6ft 4 so thinking this is the way forward also!

You'll be just dandy with a 29er 21" / xl frame. At 6' 4" you'll love it. The best bit is the first few rides, head a shoulders mate! And you do feel that you can role over almost any object, especially them smaller breeds that get in ya way!

Dead Rats wrote:
:P

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:05 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

b_hazard@hotmail.com wrote:
wookiee wrote:
well I'm just shy of 6ft 4 so thinking this is the way forward also!

You'll be just dandy with a 29er 21" / xl frame. At 6' 4" you'll love it. The best bit is the first few rides, head a shoulders mate! And you do feel that you can role over almost any object, especially them smaller breeds that get in ya way!

[quote="Dead Rats"]

Well I'm selling up at the moment the '08 Marin Rift Zone and the '97 Mount Vision to raise some funds...thinking I will have about 1k to spend on a 2nd hand machine...maybe a bit more...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:06 pm 
Old School Hero

Trek Cobia and spend the change on a wheelset. Very capable bike, Gary Fisher did some magic with that geometry.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:25 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joe of Loath wrote:
Trek Cobia and spend the change on a wheelset. Very capable bike, Gary Fisher did some magic with that geometry.

Hmm a Trek eh? Not considered them...I'll have a look! Have my eye on a couple of Salsa Mamasita's at the mo...any thoughts on those??

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:27 pm 
Old School Hero

Not keen on the geometry on paper, but I've never ridden one. The Trek 29ers are really slack, and not much comes close.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:28 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

The Trek looks a little basic spec wise and I was hoping for a bit more...as I have said I dont want new and am happy with 2nd hand...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next