Bike Nav

Twister

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm trying to decide on the best way to run a nav package on my bike.

I need to be able to plot a route (city or country) and follow it on the handlebars.

Also to record a route I took (country) so that I can easily replicate it or share it with others.

I've seen the Garmin etrex 30, which looks as though it does what I want. However, its not cheap and OS mapping is extra.

Does anyone have experience of nav using an iPhone 4, and if so what app were they using?

If anyone has used the Garmin, would they say it was worth the money? Did they find any cheaper mapping alternatives?
Was it easy to plot and upload routes?

Finally, is there an alternative solution that someone would recommend?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Matthew

I'm using Leisure Maps on my mobile which cost me a couple of quid and shows you position and GXP routes on OS Maps and also www.gpsies.com to create the GXP routes.

Etrex is for finding way points and plotting a route doubt it would work on streets like a nav. It's good for ramblers ect. Phone nav is ok to a point except that is reliant on data not just gps and then of course there is the battery issue, your not gonna get 6 straight hours with the screen on out of any phone that's running nav. Dedicated navs for bikes are best for this and you should be able to get a decent garmin for not a lot. I sold my 705 on eBay for 130 but I have seen the 205 for less than 100 new. The good thing with these is you can plot a route online and upload it to the unit or record a route and upload it either for others to or to save for another day. I used to get a month or of my battery using it for 4 hours roughly every weekend. Oh and you get a proper stem mount and if you drop it your not having to cry to the apple genius lol

My latest toy is a Garmin Edge 800 with full OS maps installed. Nice bit of kit and the Garmin Connect website allows you to plan routes / upload other peoples routes. Still learning how to use it correctly but impressive results so far. Using it to navigate whilst riding is not easy as it is stem mounted and not easy to see 'on the move'. Just like using a car sat-nav in all other aspects except it doesn't shout at you if you make a wrong turn.

I use an iPhone 4 and Mapmyride.

It can download .gpx files - I map a route out on google maps or the tfl cycling map then load them to mapmyride.

It's not a proper sat nav but is good for repeated routes.

Back