Radial wheel advice

marge602

Retro Guru
Hi folks. I've recently bought some second hand M750 XT hubs, and want to know if it would be safe to build a radial spoke front wheel with the front hub? They're in really good condition, but have definitely been used, there are marks from previously used spokes. I've had mtb's with radial wheels before, so know they're strong enough for my style of riding, but would like to build one myself.

Regards

Marge

I can't comment on if the hub is strong enough, but even if it is I wouldn't do it on a hub that has been laced / stressed by another spoke patern :(

I suspect it will be much more prone to cracks starting from the lumps, bumps and stress points that wouldn't be there if the hub was new.

WD :D

It'll be fine mate just no old school down hill runs ok. From a professional point it should be fine as shimano hubs are forged not cnc machined the hubs what nearer side of 10 years old now if its held up this long it will be fine just inspect it every time you clean it

Go for it and have fun.
These are not made like Hope hubs (err retro ones) ;)

File off any nicks that may get in the way.
And get a picture up.

can't comment as I am not a wheel builder or manufacturer.

I had a set of Bontrager rim brake wheels which were radial on front and radial one side on rear.

Current disc wheels with radial spoking are: roval - radial on front non brake side and mavic crossmax - rear non brake side.

I have a feeling the spokes will pop before the hub.... but who knows? :shock:
mavic-r-sys-tourdownunder.jpg

hmmmm .... these look like the Bontrager wheels I was talking about :?
103147d1355485788t-hub-flange-failure-check-one-out-img_8965.jpg

Back