top swing, cable line any better?

integerspin

Senior Retro Guru
Just made a spacer for my front mech. The cable line is terrible. This pic is exaggerated as the mech is angled. I wonder why they don't angle the cable stop, could it be a top swing mech has the cable in a better place? Tell me I have overlooked a way to fasten the cable;-)

Attachments

• rm-frontmech1.jpg
    rm-frontmech1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 245
Chopper, it is wired correctly in the picture, or bottom pull it comes up and over and bolt in the same place.

A TopSwing mech the cable goes down behind the tube. The only one benefit of them ;)

in my view (and slightly caveated by the fact I installed my first top pull mech yesterday) that does not look right somehow. I have just installed an xt m738 top pull and cable comes out like that onto clamp bolt but it is a clean straight line. That cable in op seems to come across mechanism and I would be very surprised if that was the way the engineers/designers intended given rub, uncertain effects etc, it would be a bit "Heath Robinson". Is it actually resting on mech or is cable slack and just looks like it at the angle ?

daugs":33ra6slx said:
in my view (and slightly caveated by the fact I installed my first top pull mech yesterday) that does not look right somehow. I have just installed an xt m738 top pull and cable comes out like that onto clamp bolt but it is a clean straight line. That cable in op seems to come across mechanism and I would be very surprised if that was the way the engineers/designers intended given rub, uncertain effects etc, it would be a bit "Heath Robinson". Is it actually resting on mech or is cable slack and just looks like it at the angle ?

The cable is snug in the mech and I am holding the cable tight[ish].
The cable angle isn't quite as bad as pictured, the mech was angled a bit, but with the mech parallel to the chainwheel it still looks looks pretty much like that.
It's got to be like that, the cable mounting on the mech is how Shimano intended[unless I am in need of the pointy hat with a D on it] and the cable stop on the frame is pointing directly down the back of the tube. The frame was clearly intended for a top swing.
If yours looks OK I guess the cable stop isn't in the same place.

in my experience dual pull + top pull + bottom swing = pile of shite, only ever managed to get the dual pull versions to work properly with bottom pull frames

Back