1998 Kona Hahanna restoration... first timer!

RichCollinsUK

Devout Dirtbag
Hi guys,

I started a thread asking for some advice in the wrong forum, so I'll develop the project here (if that's ok with the mods?)

Basically, I'm a first timer, and absolutely out of the loop with the mountain biking world! I currently ride a singlespeed Globe Roll 01, and a cyclocross Trek CrossRip Elite. I'd really like to breath some life back into the first decent bike I ever had, and was a christmas present from my mother, which I know she struggled to afford at the time. This adds to the sentimentality of the bike.

I haven't got a massive budget, in the region of 150 - 200 max. This will also be something I develop over the year, ready for Spring 2014 maybe?

I'll repost a picture of the bike here:
xzVA1Pu.jpg

My first question is about cleaning: What's the best/safest way to clean the group set? Any product in particular? If it's got some life left in it, I'd be happy to clean it up than replace, but I'm not averse to replacing with a decent low/mid range Shimano kit.

The Manitou SX forks have been recommended, but I'm more inclined to look at a modern fork. I'd like to re-use or replace with modern parts where possible. I love the idea of restoring it faithfully, but it's not a particularly 'special' model so for me it's about making it useable again!

Where can I get a decent and affordable bike stand for carrying out the work? I don't know what they're called... :oops:

Any advice is absolutely welcome! I absolutely love this forum!

Hi rich.. new thread noted will keep my eye on it.

As mentioned in t'other thread. If you go modern with the fork, make sure its still only a short travel.

A good citrus degreaser will help cut thru the grim on the chain/rings ect. Products like muc-off..(halfords have it) are pretty good but not cheap. Hot soapy water is more than enough for the rest

1. get a saddle ;). Then you can ride it and see what parts actually work or not.

the sales area is great for good honest value kit. Some of the folks just sell individual unique items..others have a high turn over of all sorts, its just a lottery what you can find.

if going new website like CRC and Merlin Cycles are hard to beat on price deliverd to your door.

On forks, don't get anything with longer travel. 80mm is maximum, otherwise the fork will be too long and the bike will handle like a wheelbarrow.
The problem with modern forks is that most of them are 100mm and upwards...

You can usually knock the travel of modern forks down to 80mm.

Quite simple to do on RS rebas and fox forks by buying travel spacers.

Its more difficult to find them with brake studs though. A decent set of used rebas knocked down to 80mm is what i'd go for.

dablk":y7q2qr8s said:
Hi rich.. new thread noted will keep my eye on it.

As mentioned in t'other thread. If you go modern with the fork, make sure its still only a short travel.

A good citrus degreaser will help cut thru the grim on the chain/rings ect. Products like muc-off..(halfords have it) are pretty good but not cheap. Hot soapy water is more than enough for the rest

1. get a saddle ;). Then you can ride it and see what parts actually work or not.

the sales area is great for good honest value kit. Some of the folks just sell individual unique items..others have a high turn over of all sorts, its just a lottery what you can find.

if going new website like CRC and Merlin Cycles are hard to beat on price deliverd to your door.

I've got some Muc Off knocking about somewhere. Good stuff! I'll use hot soapy water and a jet wash on the rest.

I'm a little unsure of what gear components would be compatible with my bike. Sizes etc... best place would be to strip it down and post pics!!!

hamster":3nwgqigl said:
On forks, don't get anything with longer travel. 80mm is maximum, otherwise the fork will be too long and the bike will handle like a wheelbarrow.

Ok, good advice! So the problem is the geometry of my bike compared to new bikes with 100mm+?

was8v":11a0g7rt said:
You can usually knock the travel of modern forks down to 80mm.

Quite simple to do on RS rebas and fox forks by buying travel spacers.

Its more difficult to find them with brake studs though. A decent set of used rebas knocked down to 80mm is what i'd go for.

Great, thanks! If you happen across a pair, and don't mind linking me to them, that would be appreciated!

RichCollinsUK":qnt4o538 said:
hamster":qnt4o538 said:

Ok, good advice! So the problem is the geometry of my bike compared to new bikes with 100mm+?

Yeah its not a massive problem but its probably your only limiting factor.. Everything else you can throw almost what ever you want at it.

is it 7 speed? or 8 speed?

dablk":cdcwqsj7 said:
RichCollinsUK":cdcwqsj7 said:
hamster":cdcwqsj7 said:

Yeah its not a massive problem but its probably your only limiting factor.. Everything else you can throw almost what ever you want at it.

is it 7 speed? or 8 speed?

I'm pretty sure it's 7 Speed... 99% sure!

If I was you, I'd put on a seat and give the bike a bit of a blast. That's the best way to check what needs to be replaced. It could well be that it just needs a good clean. A new set of forks will totally transform the bike, you'll find that you can do so much more with a good set. The best thing with modern forks is that they often come with a lockout, so you have the best of both worlds. If you don't want to spring for a Reba straight away, you could always pick up a cheap pair of later bombers. The MX range were really highly rated and a decent set can be picked up for about £40-50 on Ebay. They're easy to adjust but don't have a lockout. 80mm is the amount of travel that the frame was adjusted for (the RST's you have on there have 63mm travel), however many have run a 100mm fork on theirs using a shorter stem. I'd do away with that stem/headset combo and get a better headset and stem, these are really cheap here. Other than a fork, the bike will be fun to ride. The frames are pretty good and deserve to be built up. I used a 1999 Hahanna for rides for five years and it never let me down!

Latest posts

Back