A couple of singlespeed questions

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Firstly, does anybody make XTR M960(102 bcd) compatible middle chainrings in anything other than 32 tooth?
Secondly, can somebody recommend a good chain for singlespeed? I'd be something lightish, strong and durable but not too expensive. I've been looking at halflink chains on CRC but not sure wether to take a punt or not?

Ta ;)

Can't help with the chainring, but KMC 610 chain is the one to use. Avoid totally half linkj chains. They stretch too quickly.

Blackspire make 102 bcd rings. And a google shows a company called warhawk industries. IIRC 32t is the smallest size* 104 bcd can go so I'd guess if you want smaller you'll need to look elsewhere.

*some 30t rings are becoming available but they have spacers and are unlikely to be 102 bcd.

A good chain is a good chain...you do not need a specific single speed chain presuming you chainring will take 3/32. Half link chains are heavy and horrible.

It looks like it has thicker side plates which would make it stronger (and unable to fit a geared cassette).

Frankly I've never broken a SS chain, but the thicker plates might give a longer-lasting bushing IF they are hardened. Generally bottom-end chains aren't though. It's cheap so worth a punt I suppose.

Email goldtec/betd, they make rings of all sizes and I know that they have done m960 compatible ones in the past. They might have some in stock, or they could probably quite easily run one off to order. Nice guys too, very friendly and helpful from my experience.

Oh and avoid half link chains as the design of the side plates (stepped) means they stretch very quickly.
Will you be using a tensioner? If so then I'd just go for a decent SRAM chain such as the PC951 - only about £10 on crc and will last you for ages.

Just to add another chain option.

I really like Wipperman Connex single speed chains. They are not the cheapest but seem to have good longevity.

I also like to use stainless chainrings and currently run a Surly. Not sure if they make a M960 compatible ring though...

hamster":1xtyi3eo said:
It looks like it has thicker side plates which would make it stronger (and unable to fit a geared cassette).

Frankly I've never broken a SS chain, but the thicker plates might give a longer-lasting bushing IF they are hardened. Generally bottom-end chains aren't though. It's cheap so worth a punt I suppose.

Don't know if it's hardened but they do last a long time. It's cheap partly because it's a simpler design (SS specific, no profiled plates etc), for the £10 price it has nickel plated inner and outer plates like XTR/Dura-Ace or SRAM PC991 chains, which cost alot more, hence my previous comment:

JamesM":1xtyi3eo said:
Yeah but the 610HX is SS specific and much cheaper than the geared equivalent.

Back