Any suggestions for chain guide for 1x9 setup?

naboo

Devout Dirtbag
I'm currently running 1x9 on my bike but annoyingly drop the chain on rides. Been looking at guides, and the e thirteen stuff looks awesome but can't justify spending £100 on a chain guide on a £100 bike!

I don't do too much serious riding, and been looking into using something like a chain catcher dog fang or similar and an outer bash ring??

Also the blackspire einfach seems relatively cheap, even the funn devices look like they would do a job if used with a bash ring?

Can't see why I need to spend 100 quid on something, as all I need is something that will do the job previously done by the front derailleur

Any body had any experience with the above? Or better still selling any?

I really like the MRP LG1 but if you want something a bit cheaper try the Superstar one, I know a couple of people running them & they really rate them. Or if you want a super cheap setup just go for a front mech & wind the stops in.

Dunno, I'm running 1x9 but with a bashguard. I want to run a bigger ring so I'll need one of these. Seatpost clamp one looks easier to install and setup.

If you want it done on the cheap use an old front mech if you have one kicking around. Use the throw adjuster screws to get it in the right position et voila. I've run a few hack bikes this way.

Cheers may do the derailleur thing for the short term, and go for the superstar, it seems a decent price too.

I've been using a Superstar XCR guide (the BB mounted version) on one of my modern bikes with a 9 speed set up for about the last 18 months.
Once set up it's been very good, not flawless but good nonetheless. I've dropped the chain a couple of times and managed to break the plastic cage once.
Replacement parts are cheap though so overall I'm happy.

I'll move this over to the 1998 onwards section as it probably fits in a bit better in that part of the forum.

I use a chainring for Singlespeed use. That's just a straight chainring with no parts to transfer the chain towards another ring. I don't use any chain guide and the chain never came of the ring. for an example. The tension of the rear derailleur keeps the chain on the ring.

Cheers,
Will

I also use a single speed specific chainring with nice tall teeth, but had experienced a few times when the chain came off on rocky descents.
A chainguide has pretty much solved this.

I guess it depends on terrain, as I know that for about 95% of the time the guide isn't needed.

Back