Is my frame a write off

simonlovell99

Senior Retro Guru
Had a accident in which I hit the rear triangle 2" above the dropout on right hand side. The steel tube is bent inwards by a couple mm and is about 4" long. There is another small dent (5 pence piece, 2mm depth) on chain stay about 1" from dropout. A couple other dents, 1 on seat tube and 1 on downtube. The frame is a charge duster, tange prestige steel. Is it worth anything and useable (repair the damage or going cost more than frame is worth)

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 827
  • IMAG0002.jpg
    IMAG0002.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 827
  • IMAG0003.jpg
    IMAG0003.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 827
  • IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 827
  • IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 827
Certainly not safe anymore. You'll need a framebuilder to look at that, and he might decide that the chainstay and seatstay need to be replaced. That would probably make it a write off indeed.

Depends. If you plan to sell the entire bike, I'd list it for spares or repairs indeed. However if it's just the frame you're selling, I wouldn't bother.

Personally, I'd get another frame and rebuild the bike around that.

I remember someone on here, a "name", flogging a ropey old Indyflab in similar condition, claiming it was a common occurence and was perfectly OK.
Must be OK then...

I'm with highlandsflyer, if the frames dented but geometries fine I'd ride it. A steel frame will usually give some warning before failure although I'd probably use it for more sedate pursuits while assessing it.

Back