Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:34 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:36 am 
Retro Guru

Hi guys, I'm looking to get a set of 9 speed Campag shifters to work with my 8 speed Campag mirage group. I'm thinking of this option as 8 speed are harder to find does know the definitive answer? Can I use 9 speed shifters on the 8 speed group?I have done loads of searches but can't get a definite answer. Seems to be more 9 speed around hence possibly going down thus route much appreciated thanks Jon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:44 am 
Old School Grand Master

I don't know about Campag, but I'm pretty certain you can't use 9spd shifters with an 8spd cassette as the shifters pull a slightly different amount of cable and you'll never be able to get them to work properly with an 8spd block.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:45 am 
Old School Grand Master

Firstly, 9 speed is not just 8 speed plus another cog - the cogs are closer together so you cannot just use the 9 speed shifter with 8 speed cogs.
Pre-2001 9 speed shifters will be compatible with the rear mech, after 2001 you need a later type rear mech. Post-2001 shifters have the number of gears on the front.

Campag further complicated things by changing the hub splines for the cogs - 9 speed will not fit on 8 speed splines (which are shallower) and you have to swap out the freehub body. 9 speed saw a switch to aluminium bodies and needed deeper splines to stop the cogs chewing them up.
The shifters are rebuildable, so you could fit 8 speed shifter innards into your 9 speed shifter - Mercians hold most of the spares. Lots of 8 speed shifters vanished as they were upgraded to 9, hence the relative rarity.

In short, it's simpler to stick with 8 speed, otherwise you will have at least to change the freehub and possibly also the rear mech.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:52 am 
Retro Guru

Thanks guys, i have come to the decision to try to source 8 speed shifters. I'm aware of the spacing difference and thought this was going to be the case but was just hopeful i could get away with it.
I also want to keep it as simple and cheap as possible so 8 speed shifters are the way to go.
It's bizarre that the 7 i've got work fine as 8 speed untill in the lowest gear under pressure up the hills. as they aren't 8 spped indexed it then pushes out of 8th every 5 secs or so when. really appreciate your advice thanks jon :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:24 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Campag 7 and 8 have the same 5.0mm spacing, unlike Shimano.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:40 pm 
Retro Guru

I guessed they did as entirely compatiable. i just don't know enough to understand why the 7 speed shifter can go to 8 under normal load but then won't hold whilst under pressure? i guess it's all to do wiht the fact that it isn't indexed to 8 so will push across but isn't held in place and give when under load?