XT M770 Shifter - is it possible to repair?

medoramas

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've got the mentioned shifter. Last Friday something inside snapped, the cable was not moving any more...

I disassembled the whole thing yesterday, just to find out that it is that silver circle-shaped thing that holds the cable end in place, that broke... Is it possible to get it spare somewhere, or replace it with something else? :roll:

I know the bit you mean - because I was fiddling around with mine last night trying to get a new cable in!

I might have a spare shifter which you can use as a donor for a couple of quid if you like. If I have, it'll be a left hand (3spd) XT M740, but the cable bit should be very similar if not the same.

Let me know :)

i'd also look into the reason it happened - you dont want to fix it then for it to happen again.
did your shifting require a lot more force?
i'm guessing its the bit that the nipple end of the cable sits in that the ratchet pulls back when you shift up the casette?
may be worth checking before you fix and use again on a ride :)

twain":3gouom64 said:
i'd also look into the reason it happened - you dont want to fix it then for it to happen again.
did your shifting require a lot more force?
i'm guessing its the bit that the nipple end of the cable sits in that the ratchet pulls back when you shift up the casette?
may be worth checking before you fix and use again on a ride :)
Lesson learned: never use a conventional type front mech with centrally located cable stop on the seat tube... :roll:

Back