Crash on a ride today - who's at fault?

ajantom

Retrobike Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
So, had an interesting off today.

Picture the end of a trail where it hits a fire road (Haldon red down near the black section if you need to know), I come down off it and at the last moment realise that a) some trail maintenance has been done by putting in a large stone that feeds you further left, and b) 2 riders have put there bikes down directly in the run-out from the new line of the trail.
Cue me shouting SH*T very loudly and skidding into their bikes.

I'm ok apart from a twisted ankle and a ripped grip, but one of their bikes has a properly tacoed rim where I hit it.

After a few choice words on each side. Me - what a daft place to leave your bikes. Him - you were going too fast and should buy me a new wheel. Our tempers calmed and I offered to fix his wheel with a spare rim I have in the attic.

So whose fault would you say it was? Not too bothered, but I do feel that the onus should be on someone to make sure their bike isn't blocking the trail, and expect people to be doing a fair speed, even if you wouldn't be.

Both.

theirs for putting a bike in a stupid place. (it's not against the law though)
yours for going too fast so you couldn't stop in time of need or before the trail ends.

In terms of an insurance claim I wouldn't have the foggiest. I would side with them as you were the one moving, never assume a trail is safe so the onus is with you. Though the trail builder could be brought in to for not putting a notice up the trail ahead has been altered (if it was recent) and not putting warnings at the 'run off' to keep it clear.

I would just call it an incident.

without all details but playing devil's advocate, if it was cars on a road, and one was stationary but parked badly on a blind spot and you ran into it, whose fault would it be ? do you not have a responsibility to be able to brake in the distance you can see ?

Someone was prosecuted recently for causing death by dangerous parking,so on that basis I'd tell him to shove his rim.

if you was on a heavy appollo, you wouldn't have been able to stop, so no heated exchange.....your fault!!
of he had an appollo...you'd be in a world of shit!!! (and a coma) :LOL:

I'm sitting on the fence.....I do feel a bit guilty, and will happily fix his rim, as it will only take an hour or so.
In my defence, it's a trail I've ridden probably 100+ times, and if the new line wasn't there all would have been ok. I do know the guys who do trail maintenance up there, so will have a word about putting up a sign.

Crappy situation and certainly I feel for you. It's something I would be guilty of, but in the end, going too fast I believe you should have been able to stop and avoid the bikes. Be glad it wasn't a person. Hopefully since it was the end it didn't mess up your Strava time. :p

My initial gut reaction would be that it's their fault for leaving their bikes laying down on a mountain bike trail where, by it's very nature, people would be riding mountain bikes. Especially so on a red/black run where people will naturally be riding faster.

Unless they had a very good reason for their bikes to be there (ie. if they'd both fallen off them), then there's no excuse. If you're not riding your bike on a trail, move it to one side so that others can. You wouldn't just park your car in the middle of the road, so why should it be any different if you're out riding..? It's selfish and it ruins it for others.

You could argue that ajantom was riding too quickly, but then again he was on a red run which is designed for that very purpose so I don't think he's doing anything wrong. It's the two ar*ehats who decided to create the temporary roadblock which is the problem here.

Personally I think the guy is lucky to get away with a taco'd rim and not a taco'd nose.

Back