Newbie with a question

Coatsy79

Retro Newbie
Hey guys, cycled a lot back in the day

Got me an orange patriot lt

Here's a photo of it

My question is this, I've not ridden it in years, used to do a lot of downhill type free riding stuff so I built my bike to suit, now I'm all grown up and stuff I need less of a free ride bike more just cycling around type family stuff

Toying with the idea of selling it and buying something more cross country like, I have no idea what it's worth, cost well over £2.5k new all those years ago but in reality it's not really worth a great deal and I'll never be able to replace it with something even half as good

Do I remove the single chainring and downhill forks and pop a triple chain set back on and a single crown fork?

Could I offer it for swap, really want an orange ms isle (had 2 before this) but I know orange no longer make them and they seem to be few and far between second hand

Been out of the bike scene so long I have no idea what bits are good anymore

Any advice?

Personally I'd try ditching the Monster T forks in exchange for a 100mm travel single crown air fork (Fox etc) and slapping on a triple/double chainring up front. The patriot is a more than capable "all round" bike in the right spec, and you'd normally struggle to get back anywhere near what it's worth as a complete bike.

retrocomeback":2vcbdi6u said:
Personally I'd try ditching the Monster T forks in exchange for a 100m travel single crown air fork (Fox etc) and slapping on a triple/double chainring up front. The patriot is a more than capable "all round" bike in the right spec, and you'd normally struggle to get back anywhere near what it's worth as a complete bike.

That's what I'm currently thinking

Would any single crown forks fit, I need a 20mm axle?

Are the monster T's worth anything?

Just make sure you get a set of forks with the old standard 1"1/8th steerer and 20mm bolt thru dropouts, you shouldn't have too much trouble making at least £100 for the Monsters.

That's sounds like a plan then, wish I could find my old chainrings for my crankset, they're long gone I think

Cool, follow up question then, if I have a bolt thru 20mm axle would a single crown quick release axle fit?

I have hope bulb hubs (I hope you guys know these hubs, I assume hope are still going)

Coatsy79":3dn8oviy said:
Cool, follow up question then, if I have a bolt thru 20mm axle would a single crown quick release axle fit?

I have hope bulb hubs (I hope you guys know these hubs, I assume hope are still going)

You should be able to get adaptors from Hope which will allow you to run a regular QR. Your current 20mm adaptors will be held in by a circlip. Remove that from each side, remove the adaptors, fit the new adaptors and hey presto! ;)

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the BULBs (which are the best subset Hope have ever produced in my opinion) use the same adaptors and bearings as Pro 2s. Don't quote me on that though - fire off an email to Hope and they'll soon sort you out :)

Thanks guys, your a helpful bunch, planning on popping into the bike shop I bought it from today, apparently the guy who sold me the bike still works there

Cheers for the tips so far

Back