Alternative brakes to avid elixir 5

gavinda

Senior Retro Guru
I'm looking for an alternative to my current avid elixir 5 brakes. I went OTB some while back and bent the lever on my rear brake. The the piston seized and its looking like a replacement brake is in order. My lbs has tried sourcing spares and has been told sometime maybe, and I've done a little google work and have come to the same conclusion.

They have suggested a replacement tektro unit but they are also quite happy to fit my own sources parts.

Throwing into the mix is the fact that the front is still fine and is white. I would like to match colour. There is also a bit of me that doesn't want mismatched front and rear though I know that wont affect performance.

Any suggestions either rear replacement or a decent front and rear replacement would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I like Avid brakes, Merlin Cycles sell single units quite cheap, I'd get a replacement for the broken one and stil with Avid. Then you have a matching pair.

If you were wanting to change both then I'd certainly look at Shimano brakes. Different feel to the Avids, but still a good brake. Hope too, especially given there excellent customer services and good supply of spare parts.

I've looked about and there don't seem to be any white 5's available. Apparently discontinued. Shimano were looking good to me. Just nice to get some opinions :)

I've always liked Hope but you rarely go too far wrong with shimano.

Colour matching aside, I have a rear magura marta which is surplus to requirements. Let me know if of interest.

Thanks for the kind offer gunner. I think I'm edging more and more towards shimano and a full set at that. In for a penny in for a pound :roll:

It's very frustrating though, I've spent my quarterly bonus recently on a reverb dropper, some new tyres and upgrading my magic link to the new air shock. Add to this another hundred odd quid and it becomes very frustrating to be forking out on a bike I'm not riding.

Plus ride to work voucher has been ordered and a Fatty shall soon be on the way :cool:

Today could be your lucky day as I have a spare white Elixir 5 caliper, a bit scuffed but works fine and a fault Elixir 5 lever with pisses fluid out but good for spares, pm me if you're interested.

Guys, thanks very much for your kind offers of spares, but I'm not really in a position to be fixing stuff (time and ability). Right now I think I'm going to be going for some shimano stuff. My trek SS has avid cr's which I'm not too impressed with either so I'm not too sure about the avid thing anyway.

Please don't think I don't appreciate the help offered :)

You can't go wrong with the Shimano brakes. I've got XT's on my SX and the new Deore brakes on my BFe. If you're on a budget, you can't go wrong with the Deore's. They don't have tool free adjustment but I haven't changed my XT's since they were first installed and I can't tell much difference in power. At forty quid an end they're an absolute bargain.

Back