Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

TriBars on a MTB
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=258950

Author:  Rob H [ Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:11 pm ]
Post subject:  TriBars on a MTB

A bit unconventional I know but I've heard of it being done by enduro riders and I was wandering if anyone's tried it?

I'm starting to do a few longer rides over several days which involve the odd road section to link bits together and I'm toying over getting a pair to improve aerodynamics on the road and also to give my arms a change of position.

Author:  T'boo Ted [ Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:06 am ]
Post subject:  Re: TriBars on a MTB

You need some scott AT4 bars then...

Author:  PurpleFrog [ Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:29 pm ]

I knew someone who did it; he didn't have any problems.

Author:  corsarob [ Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:38 pm ]

T'boo Ted wrote:

i used to have them on my old team stumpjumper,loved em,wish i still had them as an option.

Author:  PurpleFrog [ Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:48 pm ]

PurpleFrog wrote:
I knew someone who did it; he didn't have any problems.

...But it was shortly after that that he started shaving his legs...

Author:  jimo746 [ Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:12 pm ]

I have done it before, but only to enter a wednesday evening 10mile TT run by a local roadie club, that and slicks and a 50T big ring... got some strange looks :lol:

Unless you were riding solely on the road for long distances I wouldn't bother personally, you'd probably be better off getting some of the longer bar ends or similar.

Author:  JamesM [ Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:26 pm ]

I've fitted them to old MTB's with short rigid forks and low front ends. I used them on the road with slicks.

Author:  Chopper1192 [ Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:28 am ]

Back in the day you see the odd mine's with an identity crisis, clad in period day glo lycra with tri bars, and apart from looking like a jerk they seemed ok. You might want a shorter stem to counter the longer top tube.

I'd just build a road bike myself - it won't be as quick on the road as a road bike, and its extra weight and extra steering inertia to manhandled off road.

Author:  gavinda [ Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:11 pm ]

Why not look at some 'dirt drops' there's a good few out there. You may need to change your brake leers to suit and as mentioned a new stem too.

Author:  gunner [ Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:33 pm ]

Before I bought a road bike I completed a triathlon with a stripped down MTB: slick tyres, single chainring and a set of bar ends shifted 'inboard' of the grips. Depends on the shape of the handlebar you're running but it was an easy, fairly effective solution.

Author:  PurpleFrog [ Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:40 pm ]

[quote="gavinda"]Why not look at some 'dirt drops' there's a good few out there. You may need to change your brake leers to suit and as mentioned a new stem too.[/quote

I think the guy wants to stay with flat bars for offroad. Dirt drops are for people who actually want to ride on drops in the dirt. Which can work very well, depending on personal taste and the trails you are riding.

And true dirt drops like Midges only have a single position, so he wouldn't get the benefit of being able to change to give muscles a rest, or have a really low and long aero position. He'd have to fit something like Salsa Bell Laps instead and ride the road in the drops and the trails on the hoods, which is a much trickier proposition for technical riding.

..Plus switching to drops costs a lot more than adding bar ends or tri bar extensions, unless you are riding a singlespeed.

Author:  gavinda [ Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:53 pm ]

Knew someone would have a better explanation. I always assumed that bars like midges et al had a wider 'top' and that they did offer position changes.

Author:  Rob H [ Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:50 pm ]

PurpleFrog wrote:
I think the guy wants to stay with flat bars for offroad. Dirt drops are for people who actually want to ride on drops in the dirt. Which can work very well, depending on personal taste and the trails you are riding.

You got it in one, I've got some long rides planed to later in the year 200 miles plus which are 75% odd road but given there nature there are a few long road sections linking bits together, so it's a case of making the best of what's available to me.

Author:  PurpleFrog [ Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:02 am ]

Rob H wrote:
PurpleFrog wrote:

You got it in one, I've got some long rides planed to later in the year 200 miles plus which are 75% odd road but given there nature there are a few long road sections linking bits together, so it's a case of making the best of what's available to me.

What have you got planned for tyres? Crossmarks if it is still dry?

Author:  Rob H [ Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:15 am ]

I'm going for Conti Race Kings

Author:  mattr [ Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:23 am ]

You could look at some of the dinky clip ons that the triathletes have taken to using for bunch riding.
Or get a cheap pair and trim the extensions down.
(Normal length tri bars will be faaaar too long when combined with an mtb length top tube/riding position, plus I'm not sure I'd want that much metal cantilevered out over the front end of the bike when I was off road!)

Author:  HK-II [ Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:35 am ]

corsarob wrote:
T'boo Ted wrote:

i used to have them on my old team stumpjumper,loved em,wish i still had them as an option.

May have a set for sale - although shipping will be fun.

Author:  Rob H [ Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:42 pm ]

T'boo Ted wrote:

...and matching neon spandex. Whilst they made a lot of sense I just can't bring myself to put a pair on my bike.

gavinda wrote:
Why not look at some 'dirt drops' there's a good few out there. You may need to change your brake leers to suit and as mentioned a new stem too.

Drops are a pretty much none starter as I'm running hydrolic disc brakes, I know there are work arounds but I don't think the cost / effort is worth the benifit.

mattr wrote:
Normal length tri bars will be faaaar too long when combined with an mtb length top tube/riding position

That is an extremely good point and one I'd over looked

mattr wrote:
You could look at some of the dinky clip ons that the triathletes have taken to using for bunch riding.
Or get a cheap pair and trim the extensions down.

That's a good idea, I'll look out for some

Author:  PurpleFrog [ Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:42 pm ]

Re. reach, it sounds like you might want Cinelli Spinacci:

On sale (discontinued?) here: http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/HBC ... extensions

Author:  gavinda [ Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:04 pm ]

well if you aren't concerned about looking uber what about butterfly bars? again waiting to be corrected but every suggestion helps :)

Author:  monty dog [ Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:14 pm ]

If it was me, I'd go for a short-reach extension like the Vision Mini Clip Ons. Planet X are doing some Spinacchi-like extensions cheap too, but they do require some form of arm-rest IME. A semi-aero position will help, particularly with a strong headwind.

Author:  mattr [ Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:29 pm ]

The AT4s end up giving you bugger all space for controls, like going back to a 560mm bar! Also, some brake/shifters won't go on thanks to the curves (clamps don't open far enough)

And butterfly bars, whilst good for some things, tend to be a bit bendy and bouncy on anything other than smooth gravel tracks.

Author:  stevet1 [ Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:03 pm ]

I do not expect this to be in anyway a sensible solution but I have in the past when riding along a bike path into a headwind rested my hands on top of the fork legs to get a more aero position. Does anyone else adopt this position?

Author:  clockd [ Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:20 am ]

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Croa ... ts&fref=ts

Check him out!!!!!

Author:  JamesM [ Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:24 am ]

stevet1 wrote:
I do not expect this to be in anyway a sensible solution but I have in the past when riding along a bike path into a headwind rested my hands on top of the fork legs to get a more aero position. Does anyone else adopt this position?

No!!!

BITD I used to ride down hills on the road with my chin on the stem (nearly) and holding the grips from underneath (palms facing up) because it brought the elbows in and made me more aero. I stopped doing it after I came off at 40mph. :facepalm:

Author:  Rob H [ Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:29 pm ]

Well I have decided that tri bars are the work of the devil and I will never ride a bike with them ever again.

If you are slightly screamish stop reading now!

I had a slight off the other day and whilst I normally clear the bars my bits got caught on the tri bar arm rest and I very nearly castrated myself, had to go into theater to have everything put back where it should be and now have 20 stitches.

Author:  bigdavewsf [ Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:12 pm ]

Rob H wrote:
Well I have decided that tri bars are the work of the devil and I will never ride a bike with them ever again.

If you are slightly screamish stop reading now!

I had a slight off the other day and whilst I normally clear the bars my bits got caught on the tri bar arm rest and I very nearly castrated myself, had to go into theater to have everything put back where it should be and now have 20 stitches.

this post is worthless without pictures :lol: :lol: :lol: