Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:47 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:57 am 

Looking at Bikepedia, I am assuming I have a 1998 Stumpjumper M2 Comp, since my serial number starts with 98S4M1... and it exactly matches the picture. I can see the info provided on the bike's spec, but I am also aware that some of it is unfortunately just plain wrong.

e.g.
1. Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore XT top-swing, bottom-pull/clamp-on 31.8mm
My seat tube is 34.9-35mm, thanks

2. BB Shell Width 68mm English
Mine is 73mm

I go riding with my buddies on Saturday mornings and am planning to scavenge my old 1998 Steel Rockhopper for as many parts as possible, so I want to do the build fairly quickly so that I don't miss too many rides. :) However, my Rocky takes a 31.8mm front mech, which I know won't fit, so I need to know which combination of parts do fit. I am prepared to buy a new/newish front derailleur, bottom bracket and cranks (LX/XT spec if poss.) to complete my build. All my other bits are 8-speed XT (shifters, rear cogs, rear derailleur etc)

So, M2 owners, what I want to know is the part numbers of parts that definitely fit this frame. I need to know which:
Front Derailleur
Bottom Bracket (shell is 73mm, but what axel length did you buy to fit your cranks?)
Chainset (Crankset)

you use together. I don't want to go single speed and would prefer to stick with Shimano parts. I don't mind going square taper, octalink or whatever, providing it all fits together as a package.
I also know I need a 30.9 seatpost.

Thanks in advance,

Mart.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:20 pm 
Classified Mod
Classified Mod

Would be helpful if you could say what chain set your gonna use (exact model).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:45 pm 
Classified Mod
Classified Mod

My '00' M2 takes a 68mm B/B & a 34.9mm FD :?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:11 pm 

I am probably going for a 175mm Shimano FC-M751 Xt if I can get one at a reasonable cost. If not, I may just stick with the Son Of Strongarm, although when I weighed them they come in at 907g without bottom bracket, which seems a tad heavy... All of the Shimano LX/XT cranks seem to be in the 700-750g bracket.
I'd line to know which BB axle length to get both for the Son Of Strongarms, which were original fitment, I think.

It seems a blinking minefield though. I have to get a new front derailleur, 34.9mm, but some of these are only 50mm chainline and some are both 47.5mm and 50mm. So if I stick with my Strongarm cranks, which FD can I use which will work with a 47.5mm chainline?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:20 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

The critical thing is matching the crankset to the bb. I'd select a chainset you like, then do a bit of googling to see what length bb you need to run it on. Or ask here again if you prefer. The easiest and most failsafe way is to go a bit more modern. Contemporary Hollow Tech II cranksets will work in 68 or 73 and come complete with bb. A modern Shimano front mech will work on all tube diameters and is top or bottom pull ~ easy! Some people will say it's out of keeping with a 98 bike, but I like the look and function. Running HTII on my 98 Stumpy; there's no way I'd go back to the old original Son of Strongarm stuff. Hope this helps and put some pictures up when you can :-)