Repainting fork lowers...final result page 3

Re: repainting fork lowers

i'd say phone the usual suspects but some are not painting lowers now as they have had issues once rebuilt, that then cause issues between the customer/painter/assembler as to whose fault it was when there are issues.

things like, if they blast them (which i think is mental) to remove the old paint they then risk having some blast material left in the fork which causes problems if not removed and then has potential to eat away on the stantion, even with obsessive cleaning some bits can get stuck inside.

also, the lowers can warp if heated too much after painting, i had a pair of revelations do this, they were powder coated though.

in your position i'd phone mojo and ask if they have a recommendation for a painter. i assume the fork is old enough that it's out of warranty anyway? i'd strip them completely, send them to be painted then send a box of parts to mojo for the rebuild.

If you use Soda blasting to strip the forks, doesn't the media just dissolve in water?

thanks for the advice...I fancy using these as a learning tool for understanding forks...which I do not at the moment, so hope to strip and rebuild myself within measure. Fox RL100's btw

Ill be repainting the lowers on my Recons sometime soon. I'll just be removing the uppers and seals, then stripping the decals. Then sanding the lowers to rough up the paint to give a key for the new paint to adhere to. Done this before and although the finish won't be 'as new' it'll look pretty good. Do you not fancy giving yours a go yourself?

Back